CroAm

Cast Iron or Stainless?

Hey gang,

I have a Big Joe and was wondering would it be worth getting the cast iron or stainless plate for steaks and other foods? Anyone try either or? Recommend one over the other?

Thanks

Personally I like the Kamado Joe C.I griddle because it cleans so easy, You just scrape it, wipe it and spray with oil and put it away for the next time you need it, Kamado Joe also has a Soap stone that is even easier to maintain but it is fragile. 

51 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I prefer the soapstone to the cast iron because it has a better thermal retention/transfer than the cast iron and it's lower maintenance.  It wont rust and you can clean it with soap and water.

This is my next Joe purchase. 

The soapstone really is an amazing surface. The cast iron is fine and all, but I don't see myself using it on a regular basis anytime soon just because of the seasoning of it, the cleaning of it, and the maintenance required. I have full sets of cast grates for big joe and classic, and have half griddles for big joe and classic and just don't see use for them anymore. I will use the soapstone to cook and sear and the main stainless grates for regular grilling I think.

On 10/31/2018 at 1:51 AM, bbqboss84601 said:

Soapstone.... all the way. I have two for the classic and one for the Big Joe. Love ❤️ it like no other. I did a side by side and it doesn’t compare. Everyone noticed the difference.....

D0058BE8-AC77-4129-8250-FC760F1C621D.jpeg

Can you elaborate on what the difference in results were?

The soapstone was more non stick than the cast was and there was no break in period, I just had to get it hot. No maintenance. The soapstone appeared to retain the juices more and the burgers that I did in the picture above had a great crust but were so much juicier than the burgers cooked on cast. Hope that helps

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:51 PM, bbqboss84601 said:

Soapstone.... all the way. I have two for the classic and one for the Big Joe. Love ❤️ it like no other. I did a side by side and it doesn’t compare. Everyone noticed the difference.....

D0058BE8-AC77-4129-8250-FC760F1C621D.jpeg

Looks like neither seared that top side very well.....

2 hours ago, HoserJoe said:

Looks like neither seared that top side very well.....

I am pretty sure the burgers have not been flipped yet, hence they are not seared on the top in the photo yet. 

26 minutes ago, odamaK said:

I am pretty sure the burgers have not been flipped yet, hence they are not seared on the top in the photo yet. 

#thatsthejoke

Forgot the sarcasm font