My technique is to prepare the dough from scratch.  I prep my wooden peal by rubbing it with flour and then sprinkling on some very course ground corn meal.  Next I put the dough on the peal before I dress it.  In your case it looks like you could simply pick up the dough since it's rather thick.  My ultra thin pizza requires me to roll it up on a rolling pin to transfer it to the peal, sort of like your grandmother transferred a thin pie crust to her pie pan. 

In any event, the idea is to get the dough onto the peal first so that you don't have to worry about getting a fully dressed pizza onto the peal without making dog food.  A "garbage" pizza with lots of sauce and too many toppings is particularly vulnerable to disaster at this point.  But a plain piece of dough is no worries.

I dress the pizza on the peal.  When I put it on my very hot pizza stone (I cook at 700 F) I shake the peal a little bit to be sure the pizza is moving and then slip it onto the stone.  The corn meal acts like tiny ball bearings to insure a nice release.  It helps prevent sticking to the stone too. 

14 minutes ago, Mozella said:

My technique is to prepare the dough from scratch.  I prep my wooden peal by rubbing it with flour and then sprinkling on some very course ground corn meal.  Next I put the dough on the peal before I dress it.  In your case it looks like you could simply pick up the dough since it's rather thick.  My ultra thin pizza requires me to roll it up on a rolling pin to transfer it to the peal, sort of like your grandmother transferred a thin pie crust to her pie pan. 

In any event, the idea is to get the dough onto the peal first so that you don't have to worry about getting a fully dressed pizza onto the peal without making dog food.  A "garbage" pizza with lots of sauce and too many toppings is particularly vulnerable to disaster at this point.  But a plain piece of dough is no worries.

I dress the pizza on the peal.  When I put it on my very hot pizza stone (I cook at 700 F) I shake the peal a little bit to be sure the pizza is moving and then slip it onto the stone.  The corn meal acts like tiny ball bearings to insure a nice release.  It helps prevent sticking to the stone too. 

Welcome.  Thank you for sharing! Please  stop by and introduce yourself. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By GrillDawg
      Decided to fire up the KJ for my first pizza cook last night. We had a bad stretch of storms come through and were under a tornado watch...but I was hungry so we made it happen

Made my own crust using John's recipe. Toppings consisted of sausage, banana peppers, spinach and a honey drizzle once I took it off the grill. Decided to label this one "Sweet Heat."

Had some trouble getting the KJ up to 900 but seemed to work fine at 750.

Overall, it was really good. Can't wait for our next pizza night!

• By DerHusker
      On New Year’s Eve we had our friends over for dinner.  They were getting up early to go to the Rose Parade so the evening ended early but we still had a great time.

I made 2 pizzas. The first was a Hawaiian Pizza with red onion, black olives, Canadian bacon and pineapple.

The second was a Meat Lover’s Pizza with red onion, black olives, peperoni and Italian sausage.

Both were delicious but I have to say the Meat Lovers was my favorite.

Thanks for looking.

• By Burgy12
      First time posting here and I need some help- this year the torch has been passed to me to cook Christmas dinner for my family (10 people). I purchased my KJ Classic II 3 weeks ago and thought I’d give Prime Rib a shot. I’m new to smoking/grilling but I’ve loved my KJ so far and cooked some killer dinners already. Confidence was high, did my research, purchased 11lbs of Prime Rib From a local butcher and took it home. 

First mistake: I thought I had ordered boneless PR - nope, bone-in... butcher had already cut the bones and retied to the meat. I thought I should just cut it off and proceed as planned. Well I cut the bones off and saw some thick chucks of fat (fat cap?) and took those off as well. trimmed a lot of fat off the back as well because it seemed too thick. Tied back up with butcher twine and now it’s sitting in the fridge seasoned with salt,pepper, garlic powder and wrapped in plastic. 

After watching numerous YouTube videos of people cooking with the bones attaching & properly trimming their PR - I’m terrified that I butchered (no pun intended) this meat and took out all the flavor removing the bone rack & fat cap. Im also worried that the meat will sit in the fridge seasoned too long and the meat will dry out as a result.  The cook will be tomorrow around noon which means it will sit about 36 hours seasoned. 

Any ideas to help this rookie save this cook is much appreciated!
      I’d love Malcom Reed or John Setlzer to just give me a pat on the back and tell me it’s going to be ok haha

P.S. I’m planning on adding a wet rub over the PR about an hour or two before throwing it on the Joe tomorrow: cooking low&slow over indirect heat around 225-250 until internal temp hits about 120 - removing and letting rest while I crank up the Joe to 500 for a quick reverse sear. I also still have the bone rack and not sure what to do with it. 

• By Antonio
      I am looking to buy a Kamado Grill/Smoker I am looking for advice from people that have actually purchased and used one. I am also looking to buy one reasonably priced, Best Bang for the Buck.  I really like the Kamado Joe but they are definitely a bit pricey. So all advice from experienced Kamado buyers and users are appreciated  

Thank you
      Anthony
    • By gander2112
      I got a bonus at work (a lot more than I expected, woot!) and I ordered me a Baking Steel. It is about 1/4" thick plate steel, and it is supposed to be great for making pizza. Tonight I put it to the test.

Grill: Kamado Joe Classic III
      Charcoal: Lazzari Fuel Lump Mesquite (I used to use this when I was a professional chef, cooks clean and HOT)
      Dough: Ken Forbish's Overnight Pizza, from Flour, Water, Salt and Yeast.
      Sauce: fresh Maranzano tomatoes, some EVOO, with salt, pepper, and some basil and oregano.

Topping - Pizza 1: Whole Milk Mozz, Sausage and Pepperoni
      Topping  - Pizza 2: Buffalo Mozz, Proscuitto

Cook temp 650F

The first pizza burnt a bit on the bottom. The steel cooks hotter than a pizza stone, so I am chastised. As a pro, I used to cook in a pizza oven at 625, but it was a standard pizza oven with a refractory brick baking surface. Not ruined, but not perfect.

The second pizza was perfect. After a minute or two on the grill, I added a pizza pan under it to prevent the heat of the steel burning the bottom.

Both pizza's: The crust was chewy, with great open crumb. Cheese melty and delicious, and awesome.

Dinner: Success.