We have been needed a new omelette pan for a while, (favorite weekend breakfast are chorizo and cheese omelettes with guac and salsa) the finish on my hard anodized pan that I like to use is getting thin and with all the talk of cast iron on here I started looking down that road.  We have a glass top stove, and I know you can use cast on that, but I had recently got a carbon steel wok and really enjoy that, so I thought that might have the benefits of cast, but lose some of the weight. Ordered the Matfer Bourgeat 10 1/4" black steel pan from Amazon http://a.co/d/efh3tAs and seasoned it up last week.  I did a good soap and water scrub then wiped down with oil and then upside down on the gasser that was running close to 500 F, probably a little hot, after an hour I scrubbed it down again, reseasoned with oil and back on the grill for another hour at around 400 F.  Came out pretty dark, but slippery, my first omelette stuck a little, but I think I let it go too long before I flipped, the second day it worked flawlessly!  This should really be a forever pan and it can and may go into the kamado with a steak or something.

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

I too just recently started using a carbon steel pan (Lodge) and I have to say I love it. The first cook making an omelette only stuck a little however as time went on... this pan is like the best of any non-stick that I've owned. I do miss the rounded edges which I use to flip the contents around in the pan but overall... it's my go to pan now.

I am a huge fan of the Lodge ones. The sides of mine are still sometimes a little sticky but that will fix itself over time with seasoning and the bottoms are perfect and I can scrape all day with the metal griddle utensils. 

Carbon Steel is hard to beat for omelettes and breakfast mixers.  Cast Iron is just too heavy for those jobs.   I find the Cast Iron wok just doesn’t perform anywhere near as well as a Carbon Steel wok.  It takes CI too long to heat up cook a wok meal correctly.  

Wok cooking all about screaming hot and fat cooking with great char.  That’s just not a strength of Cast Iron.  CI takes too long to heat up to use CI for traditional Asian Cuisine.

If you’re not using a Carbon Steel Wok you’re not really Wok cooking.