15 Inch Cabela’s Commercial Food Sealer Review

I couldn’t pass up the huge deal on the Calbela Commercial Food Sealer.  At $299.99 Canadain,  it’s pretty good deal even by US standards.  

With the 30 days return policy, there’s not much risk taking this unit for a spin.  The Cabela’s Commecial Sealer is sourced from the same factory that makes the VacMaster Pro 350/380 series and shares many of the same features. 

The LED lights in the vaccum chamber, bag guides, the Smart Heat auto seal detection system are unique to the Cabela’s unit.  The 6 mm seal bar with dual 2 mm seals is not quite on par with the 5 mm seal bars used on the Weston and VacMasterPro units, it’s more than adequate unless you’re sealing a frozen liquid.  The cord wrap and vacuum storage and accessory hose storage is also nice. 

Many of the bad reviews on the Cabela’s site seem questionable.  The units have received better reviews recently.  Too many people using the unit don’t realize you need to leave 3 inches after the seal.  They’re not placing the bag in the unit correctly  over working the machine trying to force the machine to make bags with half an inch of material after the seal. 

The free protective bag included with the unit is flimsy and probably won’t last very long. 

My monthly Costco trip is coming up this weekend.  I’ll follow-up with a more detailed review.  

9B76AD44-007F-467C-8E57-E0534468EF6B.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Not by the time you consider exchange on funds, shipping to Canada and taxes.

As an example, for a $60.00 US order of bags shipping is $36.00 US. = $126.00 CDN + 13% tax at the border.

That works out to ~$14.00/50 foot roll which is still not a bad price but not as cheap as it is for you guys down there.

That's one of the things I hate about my food saver.  I don't have 3" slack at the end but it does take at least 1.5 inches of bag waste on each end to seal it so there is about a total of 3" of waste each time I make a bag.  I'd love to switch to a chamber sealer but the initial expense of one of those is just not worth it to me.

So far the results have been mixed with the Cabela’s sealer.  

It had trouble sealing some wet/have frozen bags 100%.

I figured out a mistake I was making with the locking mech.  

I have to put it through another round of testing before making a full review.  

On 11/14/2018 at 8:52 AM, John Setzler said:

That's one of the things I hate about my food saver.  I don't have 3" slack at the end but it does take at least 1.5 inches of bag waste on each end to seal it so there is about a total of 3" of waste each time I make a bag.  I'd love to switch to a chamber sealer but the initial expense of one of those is just not worth it to me.

I prefer the pre-made bags, then you only have to seal one end. I've had good luck with these:

Canada:

https://www.amazon.ca/Ronegye-Preservation-Two-sided-Channels-Commercial/dp/B06XXM29GG/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

USA:

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Embossed-Both-Sides-Commercial-Approved/dp/B06XRZ2BBV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542999715&sr=8-1&keywords=Ronegye

I can finally provide an update after weeks of testing the newer model Cabela’s Professinal Food Sealer 15 inch. 

I figured out the problem with the first round of testing and seals with air still left in the bags.  You have to press down on each side of the handle bar separately to locked down the unit.  You get a better seal on the unit.  Trying to lock both sides with a single push on the Center of the bar can leave one side not locked down.

The roll cuttter gets the job done but could use a redesign.  The flip down cut bar does not get a perfectly straight as the slotted cutter design in the VacMaster Pro 380. 

The auto seal could use a timer adjustment.  I find myself using the manual seal button more on meat, fish, pork, chicken, ect..  

The auto seal occasional seals before the bag is done there is no way to adjust the timer on the seal for any of the automatic setting.  This is place where they could improve the design. 

Overall it it does a good job sealing for 1/2 the price of a 15 inch Weston Unit and VacMaster unit.  It is the best bang for your buck if you’re in the market for a 15 inch sealer.   Having to hold the manual seal is no big deal.   The blue light bar indicator tells you when you can a seal.  

They placed the buttons for the manual/pulse and seal button well enough to make manual seals very easy.  Some machines place the buttons on the opposite side of their control pannels.

I sealed some Heritage pork ribs to push the unit to see if it would seal.  It did a good job on manual seal.

It’s a good buy (when it’s on sale) for those who don’t want to drop a pretty penny for a large Weston and VacMaster units.  Hopefully future designs will include a timer override for the auto seal functions. 

391548AF-15C6-45DB-9F04-A1ABBA9C09CC.jpeg

3AE84BF8-A9B3-4B7B-A743-5E565E7B18FC.jpeg

0FD6593E-0D9F-4E2D-97F5-BABBEF527781.jpeg

16F02539-5C38-46C1-9040-7A1CB423952F.jpeg

74C5851A-8FFE-4FA4-AF22-12D54A533DA7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I have an earlier version of Cabelas commercial sealer, though I don't know if it's the 15" version or not. The handle on mine is much smaller and centered in the middle of the unit and has a storage unit for a roll with a cutter on the back. I can get away with sealing using about 1/2-3/4" on the initial seal then when it has to vacuum for packaging and uses about 1 1/2" excess. So far it's worked great.

3 hours ago, ske1eter said:

I have an earlier version of Cabelas commercial sealer, though I don't know if it's the 15" version or not. The handle on mine is much smaller and centered in the middle of the unit and has a storage unit for a roll with a cutter on the back. I can get away with sealing using about 1/2-3/4" on the initial seal then when it has to vacuum for packaging and uses about 1 1/2" excess. So far it's worked great.

This unit has a wider seal bar so It’ll be hard to go less than 2 inches on a seal.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 7:52 AM, John Setzler said:

That's one of the things I hate about my food saver.  I don't have 3" slack at the end but it does take at least 1.5 inches of bag waste on each end to seal it so there is about a total of 3" of waste each time I make a bag. 

Not sure why you would have 1.5 inches of waste on at least one end.

Just the cut the bag off the roll, put the heater bar about 3/4" from the end, and seal.   About the only rolls I use anymore is the expandable rolls for things like prime rib roasts. And I get in the habit of double sealing anyway.

14 minutes ago, Silicon Sam said:

Not sure why you would have 1.5 inches of waste on at least one end.

Just the cut the bag off the roll, put the heater bar about 3/4" from the end, and seal.   About the only rolls I use anymore is the expandable rolls for things like prime rib roasts. And I get in the habit of double sealing anyway.

Thats not how my model works.

13 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Thats not how my model works.

The 2 inches is the recommendation of the manufacturer.  The Cabela’s machine’s vacuum chamber is 3/4 inches deeper inside the machine than the chamber on the Weston.  Unfortunately the design means a 3/4 inch would not land fully inside the vacuum chamber.  

You’re stuck using 1 1/2 inches minimally to ensure the bag is inside the chamber so it can seal properly.