G-A-R-Y

Can and how to smoke with a Joe question with wood.

Just sat watching these programs about people in Alaska smoking/preserving fish.  They smoke it for 12 hours or more in sheds.

Can I use wood in my Joe so as to smoke fish and meat.  I've only used lump-wood so far and done a few very low and slow lamb and pork joints. 

Never below 110/130C.

So can I use wood?

The problem you face is heat that your fire will produce and be stored in the ceramic. Keeping your temp below the 110 to 130 range could be tricky with any kind of actual fire. Have you considered something like a amazing smoker or a tube. Not really sure how well they work, but may be worth a shot. Perhaps someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject can chime in.

Using only wood will produce a LOT of smoke as it tries to reach combustion. At those low temps you’re trying to convert pure wood into .... charcoal. 

And once it combusts you’ll struggle to control the heat from your new campfire. 

My approach may be a bit overboard, and I use two kamado's.  Joe Jr as the fire/smoke source, and the Big Joe as the smoke chamber.

I like to cure and smoke salmon in the winter to take advantage of the cold air which greatly cools down the smoke coming off the Joe Jr (upwards to 350F+) as it enters the Big Joe.  The temp in the Big Joe are usually in the 40-50F, outside air temps usually below 32F.

I've used various smoke generators, tubes, trays etc and  I find my method produces a cleaner smoke given the fire temp in the Joe Jr, YMMV.

DSCN7888.jpg