Jump to content

How Big of a Turkey on the Big Joetisserie


Admckillip
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey All, 

 

Been a while since I've posted, but I'm cooking tons of the big joe that this place got me started one. I'm looking to grab a Big Joetisserie for thanksgiving and I'm wondering how big a bird I can spin on there? I use a KAB if that matters for coal clearance and am new to spinning... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have done one 14# bird and it was really good.   Just be sure you get the forks snug into the bird and tighten the wing nuts down.   20 years ago I coulda tightened them sufficiently with fingers but time has taken it's toll and I did not use pliers to tighten and when I opened the lid 2 hours later to check temp, it was sorta flopping and one set of forks had backed off.   Lesson learned.  :banghead:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 25 lbs is the max.  You have to balance the motor.

 

5 F or - 15 C is the lowest operating temp where you can spin anything that big.  The motor will start to freeze at -20 C / 0 F.  

 

You also need to balance the load well for the rod to spin.  It’s best to do a test spin before lighting the grill to make sure you’re turkey will spin.  My X-Max Turkey got stuck in a death spin last year where the load wasn’t balanced & the 20 lbs turkey was only spinning half way rocking back & forth.  

 

It’s easier to check balance when the grill is cold.   This is only a problem on big turkey’s where you’re pushing the limits of the motor.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Stile 88 said:

Just curious why spin it just throw it on the grill like was said why risk it not ballanced right or the motor bogging down ...

 

We had a bizzarely cold Christmas last year.  It was -34 c with a wind chill of - 42 C.

 

Normally it’s in the -8 c to -18 C which would have been okay.  Part of the problem was the gears in motor were freezing.  It was too cold for a rotisserie cook.

 

The motors are waterproof but they’re not insulated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

 

We had a bizzarely cold Christmas last year.  It was -34 c with a wind chill of - 42 C.

 

Normally it’s in the -8 c to -18 C which would have been okay.  Part of the problem was the gears in motor were freezing.  It was too cold for a rotisserie cook.

 

The motors are waterproof but they’re not insulated. 

 

That's pretty cold by our standards... good luck with all that... :-D

 

I could see where the grease on the gears inside the motor would become stiff or hard at those temperatures so -34 degrees of any sort is out for me:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find the rod bends or bows in the centre if theres most of the weight in the centre this making it harder for the motor to spin trying load. 

 

I found this true even when spinning two medium sized birds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, odamaK said:

I find the rod bends or bows in the centre if theres most of the weight in the centre this making it harder for the motor to spin trying load. 

 

I found this true even when spinning two medium sized birds. 

 

That’s the part of the design challenge of having a loose floating rod on one end.  Balancing on the Joetisserie usually involves positioning a large turkey slighting further to the right and away from the motor on the left.  Trying to center the bird perfectly on the rod can throw the load off balance.

 

It’s why I suggest balancing a large turkey before lighting.  As long as you’re pulling the turkey fresh from the fridge,  it should fine as along as you have the fire up and running within an hour of pulling it from the fridge, with the exception of really hot days.

 

I usually don’t crave large yard bird meals when it’s 90 F plus outside.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Kamado Joe should have put another support on the motor side just inside the ring and machined the rod round so that it was supported equally inside.  That would also take some of the load off the motor. 

 

They should have also used bushings on where it spins to prevent the aluminum having a groove worn into it over time. I prevent this by wrapping the end in aluminum foil so that the rod spins inside the aluminum foil and the Kamado Joe aluminum ring stays like new. 

 

Heck the should have made the rod 3/8" and and machined the motor end of the rod down or just use a 3/8" motor. 

 

Come to think of it, maybe I just gave myself a project to improve the Kamado Joe rotisserie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, odamaK said:

I think Kamado Joe should have put another support on the motor side just inside the ring and machined the rod round so that it was supported equally inside.  That would also take some of the load off the motor. 

 

They should have also used bushings on where it spins to prevent the aluminum having a groove worn into it over time. I prevent this by wrapping the end in aluminum foil so that the rod spins inside the aluminum foil and the Kamado Joe aluminum ring stays like new. 

 

Heck the should have made the rod 3/8" and and machined the motor end of the rod down or just use a 3/8" motor. 

 

Come to think of it, maybe I just gave myself a project to improve the Kamado Joe rotisserie. 

 

All Rotisserie Rods need to be square to fit the accessories.  They can’t make the rod round.

 

The wedge would have benefited from a bushing mount on the non-motor side of the wedge for added stability.

 

Realistically the current design starts to struggle over the 18 lbs mark.  

 

At the 20 lbs mark, you get a reasonable amount of rod wobble which strains the motor.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...