Sign in to follow this  
BBQ Bob

When Am I Going To Learn ?????

Once again I get going on the Kamado, something comes up to distract me, and I make another poor meal !    Fired up the new Vision, got her rock steady at 225 and put on the chuck roast to smoke.  Hit 165 internal, took off to rest, wrapped in foil and went back to work on my other project.                    Completely forgot to put it back on to go to 190, instead when time to eat: sliced, sauced, warmed and served.  TOUGH as shoe leather.  Taste was outstanding so mini cubed and all ate it, but not what I was looking to make.

Good News- Vision held temp no issue and I learned some of my settings for the top and bottom vent.   Bad News- another new recipe that was not too good because I failed to follow directions and allowed myself to be distracted.  One of these days I'm going to try doing one thing at a time and hopefully make better meats.  Good thing I'm not in the restaurant business, I'd be closing the doors before the end of the first week.

Question for you Vision folks, about how long to get her to 200/225 on a cool day (55F), no wind, lump charcoal and one starter cube?  It seemed to take a little longer than I expected, and longer than the Akorn used to?  But once there, she held steady with no fuse or toying.  So far I'm very please with the Vision performance.

When I first got mine I think I tried to keep it around 225 maybe once or twice. After looking around a little bit and testing for myself I found that there was no real benefit to it. My vision likes to settle around 275-300 and I will use a temp controller on overnight cooks for peace of mind. 

At my age, it appears that I can only handle one task at a time, just walking from one room to the next, I sometimes forget what the heck I am going in there for.  If I get started doing anything else, I am more than likely to get involved and forget what's on the grill. My personal mantra is "when your cooking, cook", kinda of a self defense thing for me:).

On 11/5/2018 at 11:09 PM, BBQ Bob said:

Question for you Vision folks, about how long to get her to 200/225 on a cool day (55F), no wind, lump charcoal and one starter cube?  It seemed to take a little longer than I expected, and longer than the Akorn used to?  But once there, she held steady with no fuse or toying.  So far I'm very please with the Vision performance.

I have found that my Vision S series is not as efficient as my old Akorn was. However, that's a good thing as one knock against Kamados in general is that they tend to use too little fuel and make less smoke. My Akorn could get up to 400 in 10 minutes when it's about 20°F (-5°C) but the Vision can't. Nevertheless, it's sill quite useable in the cold and I think when it's hot produces more flavourful smokey food.

I have had my vision for over a year now and have no issues keeping it around 225-250. I put in the lump with a starter and just keep the lid open for 10-15 minutes, then close her up and set the vents and let it heat soak for 30-60 mins. I have gotten so comfortable, I don't even use the grill thermometer all the time; just the meat one. Depending on the type of lump and the amount of wood you put in it will fluctuate 25 degrees or so up and down during a long smoke. I smoked a couple of racks of beef short ribs and did the 3 +2 method and kept it between 250-275 the whole time and they turned out great! If you can't keep it steady below 250, then you might have a small leak somewhere. I replaced the gasket around the ash drawer with nomex and that seemed to help it stabilize faster. That was many months ago... Love the vision! Just keep tinkering with it and you'll get comfortable and confident...