Sign in to follow this  
mike echo

Rec Tec Markdowns

I am always pulled in by discounted prices. I saw on the RecTec site they marked down their grills nicely.

I am debating if I really need to consider another (pellet grill) besides my KJ. The RecTec markdowns seem pretty good.

I could "swing" a pellet grill of any brand for a discounted price.

So what does anyone think about having a Kamado and a pellet grill?  Advantages or disadvantages to having both?

M.

@mike echo

I love my pellet grill.  It's a perfect companion to a Kamado and it's also a perfect stand-alone system.  It complements the Kamado in a lot of ways.  It's as versatile as the Kamado with one exception.  They are not as good at searing and extremely high temperature cooking as a Kamado.  Everywhere else, they are good.  I can sear in my Pellet grill by using a cast iron pan or cast iron griddle.  I let it preheat with the grill and give it plenty of time to get heat saturated before dropping a steak or something else on it.  It takes longer to get ready to sear on the Pellet grill so I mainly do my searing on the Kamado.  

The Pellet grill does not produce as heavy of a smoke profile as a Kamado will for low and slow cooking.  It produces a mild smoke profile, which is my personal preference and one of the reasons I love cooking on it.  I prefer a lighter smoke profile.  

The Pellet grill is like a gas grill with benefits.  You simply turn it on and it's ready to cook shortly after that.  It's a true wood fired oven with a clean burning fire.  Like a kamado, you can cook anything you would normally cook in your indoor oven in a pellet grill as well.  

Do you have any specific questions about cooking on a pellet grill?

I have the camp chef smoke pro DLX and really enjoy it. I plan on buying the sear box--->https://www.campchef.com/smokepro-bbq-sear-box.html very soon to solve the searing dilemma, also if you want more of smoke flavor try a smoke tube--->http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm I have been using one of these for about a year with great results.

@John Setzler Thanks for the input. No pellet grill cooking Qs,  just trying to figure if I would get to liking the pellet grill too much, and not use the KJ as much. I generally am going to the 300 temp range roughly 80% of the time on the KJ-typical time to get there. I gather a pellet grill will do that faster and wifi and/or Bluetooth might be players on the RecTecs. https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-trailblazer/  what I am considering lately.

M.

Thanks for the video John. -read up on Rec Tec grills. -always a hot mess reading reviews as it's hard to decipher between a genuine equipment observation or the slightest blip from perfect that will spark negativity. I look for trends or commonalities.

If there ever was an equipment issue, customer service was prompt and responsive. The "why" of the issue never gets discussed.  Sometimes one suspects operator error by the way reviews are written.

John, I suspect you make many considerations  when you review stuff. 

I am willing to spend a discounted price and see what Rec Tec and a pellet grill is all about.

My KJ will still hold the number one spot at my house!

M.

@mike echo

The most common problems I see with ALL pellet grills are user error.  I find it important to clean out the firepot after every cook.  I do that religiously.  I have a small shop vac that I use. I hit the firepot and the inside base of the grill to remove all the ash and dust and i have zero issues.  If you ignore that bit of maintenance, there are a lot of problems you can have.   

5 hours ago, mike echo said:

On 11/6/2018 at 9:06 AM, mike echo said:

So what does anyone think about having a Kamado and a pellet grill?  Advantages or disadvantages to having both?

Having both Roth has been great for me, I don’t see any disadvantages 

22 hours ago, mike echo said:

.......just trying to figure if I would get to liking the pellet grill too much, and not use the KJ as much. 

That scenario is a definite possibility

I made this same claim before I got a pellet grill. I still have the Classic Joe but have gifted away the big Joe & Junior.

back to your original question: I find that having a kamado and pellet (and small Weber gas grill) is great 

-been scouring sources for  Rec Tec info. Habit with me. I would probably do the same buying a pencil... just kidding.

Anyway. The Rec Tec Prices are probably lower than the MSRP most of the time. So no huge discount like I anticipated.

Common trends:

very good CS;

maybe auger speed problems;

maybe igniter problems;

maybe need a hopper gasket;

maybe a poor fitting lid;

maybe need a lid gasket;

controller in direct sunlight causes issues

seems fixes are U Tube video explained too.

I never got a stay away from the product vibe, except for the one " you can only please some of the people, some of the time" reviewer.

I gather that my KJ will be there like an old friend if I need to overcome a  pellet grill shortcoming or I need to cook/do other things a pellet grill doesn't do easily.

-planning to keep that fire pot cleaned as a habit-thanks John.

M.

I have been researching adding a pellet grill this spring and had pretty much decided on the Rec Tec RT700 Bull. I have been following  Rec Tec on social media and have had many guys PM me about problems they have had with the grill that Rec Tec removed from the web sites. They all claim that Rec Tec monitors their social media sites and removes negative comments. To me this is disturbing behavior and makes me second guess possibly getting a Rec Tec product. Like John says there are always haters on the sites but removing all negative comments is over the top for me.

@retfr8flyr . I got a taste of that too. I am NOT put off. Here are my opinions:

(had a conversation with a startup small business guy a while ago) which broadened my horizons.

The negative comment "syndrome" is daunting for businesses. There seems to be a vicious cycle that starts with an aggressive negative commenter. Rarely do commenters especially a negative commenter state why they made such comments. If I infer that a review or comment is for product improvement or a flat out equipment defect I pay more attention-even more when the business responds and what they say.

I feel that if one has an issue, solve it with a phone call or email. Patience and persistence and "the Golden Rule" prevail. 

I  have the impression that largely any comment or review, anywhere can only be removed by the writer.

Ordered up a Trailblazer. As I always do, I will put it thru the paces early on. I do that with everything I buy. If there are issues I cannot tolerate, I will return it. That is the policy anyway.

M.