John Setzler

Here's an interesting TURKEY project...

20181108_Turkey2.jpg

I went to publix this morning because I heard they had their seasonal $0.49/lb turkeys available.  Turns out there were $0.39/lb which is even better.  Then.... .I stumbled across THIS in the bin....

2018108_Turkey1.jpg

41.5 pounds?  Are you serious?  I have never seen a turkey that big.  My wheels started turning... 

20181108_Turkey3.jpg

It physically fits on the Big Joe but the lid won't close because the thermometer probe hits even if the turkey is pushed to the back of the grill.  I could cook it on the lower grate with the heat deflector in the lowest position, but that puts the meat too close to the heat deflector for my taste.  I would need an additional bit of insulation between the deflector and the turkey if I go that route...

Or I could cook it on the Traeger....

Hmmmmm....

This is where and extension grates comes in quite handy. I place drop the deflectors to low position; lower the BJ grates to lowest position with grease pan, if needed and place my DIY grate on top of that. Adds another 2" to 5" inches of clearance because the height of the grate is adjustable.

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

It physically fits on the Big Joe but the lid won't close because the thermometer probe hits even if the turkey is pushed to the back of the grill.  I could cook it on the lower grate with the heat deflector in the lowest position, but that puts the meat too close to the heat deflector for my taste.  I would need an additional bit of insulation between the deflector and the turkey if I go that route...

Or I could cook it on the Traeger....

Hmmmmm....

Thinking that you prob have the new-style firebox installed.  i had the old-style and pulled the fire ring off of the bowl, set the original 1-piece grate on top, put the deflectors on top of that, then put a roasting pan on top of the 1" gas pipe fittings and it worked like a charm.   (( or skip all that and just slide it into the 850 with plenty of clearance lol))

biggest turkey i've ever seen lol

You sick SOB! haha 41.51 pounds...that's insane. I just bought a 14 pound turkey. Plan on smoking it this weekend as a practice for thanksgiving. Mine was 49 cents a pound. definitely a cheap dinner for a couple of folks. I've never smoked a whole turkey on a kamado. Looking forward to it. Cant wait to see your video and to see how long it will take to smoke! You might need to brine that baby for 2 days...

John, sounds like you have decided to cook that monster on the Traeger, but here is a possible solution to your temp probe issue for the future. Take a wine cork and drill a hole big enough for your Thermometer shaft to slide through it from end to end. Remove your thermometer and push the shaft through the wine cork. Replace the shaft in the hole with the wine cork on the outside of the dome, between the dome surface and the back of your thermometer gauge. It will reduce the length of your thermo  shaft inside the dome,  equal to the length of the cork you use. If you need more room, add another or pieces of another cork. Works exceptionally well.  

IMG_0203.thumb.jpg.a221ec2ab9ac738f8bc97aa0e9a4f477.jpg

Being both a fan of 'go big or go home' and of whole turkeys, I've cooked my share of 25-28 pounders without any concerns about salmonella or undercooking. But, a 41lber is just a little large for my comfort zone and while I love the sight of a whole cooked bird, for conscience sake and more importantly of even cooking, I'd spatchcock that baby in a heartbeat.