face5535

Killer First Brisket - Directions and Pics

Been a while since I have been over here...  Figured I would stop by and update a few threads this evening as I am getting very comfortable with the entire cooking experience!

For those who dont know, I bought my first egg about a two years ago and its been amazing!  I have also gotten into sous vide cooking along with a bunch of other things!  In saying this, there have been many people who have made the learning curve easy!   Guys here like John Setzler have been amazing, youtube peeps like Malcom Reed and Aaron FranklinEasy are the best, and even facebook groups have made life easy!

I started out with a Prime Brisket from Costco and really went from there!!

• Started with some The BBQ Rub, as well as Salt, Pepper, Garlic... I applied a good coat all over the brisket!  I then used  a small layer of course steak seasoning!! 
  • I cooked this brisket fat side up the entire time at 250 degrees.
  • For smoke I use a few chunks of pecan and cherry wood
  • After 4 ½ hours it's time to take a look (probably gonna be around 150-160).  I am going more by color at this point
  • Once the color is right on the outside, I wrap the beef brisket in aluminum foil. Then carefully place the smoked brisket back on the cooker to finish.
  • I know its likely about 4 more hours
  • For anyone cooking, I like my brisket to be pulled right around needs to get to 196-198 degrees in the thickest part of the flat.
  • Once I see target temp, I pull bristket and open up the foil to let the steam escape for around 5 minutes
  • Re-cover loosely and let it rest for at least 2 hours, I prefer about 5 hours rest.  
  • Slice and Serve!!

Brisket prior to going on the egg!  Seasoned perfectly!

44923695545_019741ea0f_b.jpg

4 hours in, time to pull and wrap!

45111869484_ba16181b6b_b.jpg

After resting 5 hours, here she is ready to slice!

44923695305_54abc9cc7a_z.jpg

Ready to rock and roll!!

45787664582_66c2943b10_b.jpg

30897284167_73f047d710_b.jpg

Cheers!!

6 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

A brisket is something that I have not attempted yet. It seems like a whole lot of meat for my wife and myself. I need to have a neighborhood party for that much meat.

Probably about right... this was so much food it was insane.  The nice thing about BBQ is that you can vacuum seal it and freeze it for later!  If you reheat it correctly (in controlled hot water, it tastes almost as good as the day it came off the grill/sometimes better!

1 hour ago, Bongowillie said:

Why the rest period and the long time of it??

Its a great question...  I have always been taught that this practice should be a final step in recipes that involve meat cooked over heat.  Most people believe that a finished steak or roasted chicken should sit for several minutes before being carved so the juices can redistribute.

That’s actually not how it works.  Degraded and dissolved proteins slightly thicken the natural juices as they cool during resting. The thickened liquid then escapes more slowly when the meat is sliced, but the liquid that drains out can be recovered. What’s lost forever is the steam, accelerated evaporation... evaporation is a cooling process. The interior of a well cooked brisket temps in at around two hundred degrees. That’s not a comfortable eating temperature.

You want the meat to cool, but you want that to happen slowly.  Resting for so long allows the steep temperature gradient inside the meat to come closer to equilibrium.  Even after the surface has cooled (this happens almost immediately after taking a steak off the grill), the interior of the meat is still piping hot. 

The importance of resting larger, collagen-rich cuts like brisket is to allow that collagen to become gelatin.  Think of it as Jell-o... Jell-o that’s too hot is liquid, and it just pisses out of the meat.  With patience and a good rest, your brisket can hold onto all that good gelatin, instead of watching it disappear into the air and leaving a puddle on your cutting board.

Hope that makes sense!

20 hours ago, Bongowillie said:

@face5535 good lesson but what determines the length of the rest period?

To me, its when its actually comfortable to eat and evaporation doesnt happen....  I cant give you an IT or anything like that, but 2-5 hours seems to be the best in terms of what works (at least for me).  

I know there isnt much "scientific reasoning" behind that comment... but sometimes when you find something that works, you just roll with it!

I measure the "length" of the rest in temperature. There's no goal temperature, per se, but rather internal temperature criteria based on the size of the cut and the type of cook. 

Criterion 1: in all cases, wait for the IT to peak and fall back below the removal temperature.

Criterion 2: when cooking to completion (~200F), cool slowly until the IT drops below the stall temperature (~175F). Continue cooling faster, if desired, until the food reaches a palatable temperature.  

The second criterion gives you a lot of flexibility in service time it you get food on early. Just be patient, then respect the 140F hold-temp requirement. 

Have fun,

Frank