My Big Joe froze shut!

mstewart39

So I got up at 6am yesterday to make Clay's Pulled Beef BBQ.  

I have to say, this is an amazing recipe.  I don't bother with the tomato based sauce but other than that I followed the recipe word for word and it was amazing. But that's another thread.

My problem is that I couldn't open my Big Joe!!!  It was in the mid 20's with a "Real Feel" of 19 degrees, so sure it was cold.  But I couldn't get the Big Joe open.  I tried a hair drier for about 10 minutes but it wouldn't budge.  I didn't have it covered, which was obviously my mistake.  

I had to wheel out my Akorn, which still did a wonderful job. 

Has anyone else had this issue?  Does this basically mean that I have to cover it all the time?  The reason I didn't cover it was that I had it covered for about 2 weeks in the very rainy spring (I travel for work and don't get to use it all the time.) and I had a huge mold issue.  I figured that the cover made it difficult for any of the moisture to leave, and it caused an environment for mold growth.  I had to do a long, hot burn just to get rid of all the mold.  So my answer was to leave it uncovered, but now I have learned I can't do that!  

I'm going back to covering it for now.  But has anyone else had this issue?  I didn't want to force it because I didn't want to rip the gasket.  But that was a bummer!!

Sorry, sounds annoying. 

I have had freezing gaskets before.  Open the top vent and light I fire in the bottom vent. 

My KJC II sits with the dome open by 1/2 inch once the fire is out and I am not using the grill.  

Some people place a dowel between the base and dome of Gen1 joes to prevent the gasket from freezeing. 

Airflow and constant use are the best way to prevent mold. 

Good luck! 

You can buy a cheap heat gun from Amazon to unfreeze it.  You need at least 300-400 F to thaw the ice.   It’s tough to get from a blow dryer. 

The Fiberglass gasket do absorb more water than the felt.  They’re going to be more prone to freezing in ice rain and wet snow.