MD_Ag

Discussion: Smoked Ham Glazes

I've got a work luncheon coming up. We like to celebrate Thanksgiving without dealing with the same leftovers we're all about to have for a week. So instead of turkey, I'm going to smoke a ham. As this isn't a big event that has to be "perfect", I'm hoping to use it to try out something new.

I'm looking for ideas for the glaze. Maybe it's your favorite. Maybe it's something you wanted to try but haven't had a chance (we'll be your Guinea pigs!). Maybe your in-laws have a killer recipe, not that you'd admit that to their face.

Whatever it is, let's hear it. Many of us have done a classic orange/ honey/ brown sugar (and if not, hop to it), but what can we get when there's no tradition to worry about?

A coke (Mexican version) brown sugar glaze

1 cup of coke

3/4 to 1 cup of brown sugar

2 TBS orange juice

2 tsp orange zest

1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp nutmeg

mix all together and glaze ham last hr of cooking every 10 to15 mins

Scott

Edited by Scott Roberts

8 hours ago, SmoovD said:

Malcolm Reed with How to BBQ Right has a great recipe for a honeybaked-style ham. Recipe and YT video in link:

http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=1885

That's the one I've done before. It works very nicely. I'm learning towards a sweet mustard sauce, as the ham will be taken into work cold and likely served as sandwiches.

10 hours ago, MD_Ag said:

That's the one I've done before. It works very nicely. I'm learning towards a sweet mustard sauce, as the ham will be taken into work cold and likely served as sandwiches.

That sounds a good option as well.