Skillet Rolls

I've been looking at the finex - haven't made the plunge yet, but likely will soon.  We camp often (camper) and last spring after cooking a pan full of bacon in my vintage griswold  10"(great grand mother hand-me-down), I left it cooling on the edge of campsite and pulled out without it.  Called later that day, and it was not turned in - someone scored a good one there.  But finex will be my replacement for it.  I love the finish, and especially like the handle. 

John, did you use the Jacobsen finishing salt? -gonna search this  online.

I see that Jacobsen Sea Salt is from Oregon.

My wife is from Klamath Falls, OR home of green algae that some use for health purposes. The locals have some fine words for users of that product.:-o

M.

4 hours ago, mike echo said:

John, did you use the Jacobsen finishing salt? -gonna search this  online.

I see that Jacobsen Sea Salt is from Oregon.

My wife is from Klamath Falls, OR home of green algae that some use for health purposes. The locals have some fine words for users of that product.:-o

M.

No.  I used Maldon Sea Salt.  

I tried these this weekend, fantastic!!!!  Now I have been volunteered to make more for Thursday! I made some rather large rolls sliced them top to bottom like little bread slices added leftover turkey and cheese and bacon. Cooked them in the ci skillet for some toasted sandwiches!!   

15 hours ago, Smoke and Awe said:

I'm on roll duty for our Turkey gathering, and these are very inspiring.  Hmmm, do I dare?

John, rolls do look good. 

Go for it, do a test run today, if they turn out fine you're good. If not, go with your backup plan.

I thought about making them, bought dinner rolls, then changed my mind and am baking these this morning. :)  A couple of observations from reading through the recipe (maybe John can provide some pointers and tips):

• Recipe calls for 2 pkgs yeast, 3/4 oz.   Yeast pkgs are 1/4 oz., so which is it? 2 pkgs or 3/4 oz? I'm going with the 2 pkgs
  • 6 Tbsp sugar, divided.   That's nice, divided how? Based on my baking experience, I used 1 Tbsp for the yeast mixture, then only used 3 Tbsp for the warmed milk mixture (6 seems excessive to me, but I normally cut back on sugar amounts in recipes).

As an additional experiment, I'm using 1 1/2 cups of wheat flour, 3 cups all purpose for the total of 4 1/2 cups.

We'll see how these turn out, they're proofing at the moment. Baking will be done in the oven in a CI skillet, I'm not in the mood for firing up the Goldens' this morning. 

-lunchman

And the verdict is.... These are quite good!! Thanks for the pointer to the recipe, John!

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but here are some pics.

Rising -

20181121_123759_zpswgdoomfi.jpg

Brushed with melted butter before baking, used two Lodge skillets. One set lightly topped with Sea Salt, the other with Trader Joe's "Everything but the Bagel" (Mrs lunchman won't touch these). ;-)

Baked and taste tested -

20181121_130543_zpsvn7pc1oq.jpg

20181121_130550_zpstywllb9q.jpg

20181121_130815_zpse78jvope.jpg

Excellent, they'll go quite well with Thanksgiving dinner!

As mentioned, these are a Wheat variation. I've found that when adapting a recipe for wheat, the amount of wheat flour should be a third or less of the total amount of flour. 

Again, thanks for the recipe John!

Regards,

-Dom