Best Smash Burgers: Soapstone Halfmoon

After 2 dozen Smash burger cooks the verdict is in.  The undisbuted champion of the Smash burger wood is the Soapstone griddle.  It’s not even a close race. 

The KJ CI Griddle and Grill Grates do a decent job.  They’re no where near as even or golden brown.  The flipped over Grill grates finish dead last in the Smash burger competition producing a crust that’s slightly too dark and uneven.  The CI does a better job but doesn’t achieve the desired burger perfection burger aficionados prefer.  

The Soapstone heats faster and more efficiently than it’s counterparts.  A Soapstone will measure at 400 F  - 450 F, when the Joe is running at 350 - 375 F.  

This is creates the perfect surface to get the golden brown crust you want. 

FA3AD69B-731F-44B2-BA4C-EF3C77547BCD.jpeg

9CA1385A-F0C2-4A0F-9861-D69656BFAA6D.jpeg

BFE90D8A-803E-4D56-993A-12B8A1AB1E21.jpeg

The key to the magic of the Soapstone is even heat retention and heat soaking.  It’s like a sponge.  It soaks-in more indirect radiant heat than the Cast Iron and the Aluminum Grill Grates.  The Grill Grates tend to blacken more than they brown when they’re flipped upside down.  The grease dripping down creates flare-up’s increasing the over char of the crust.    

1 hour ago, Charcoal Addict said:

The key to the magic of the Soapstone is even heat retention and heat soaking.  It’s like a sponge.  It soaks-in more indirect radiant heat than the Cast Iron and the Aluminum Grill Grates.  The Grill Grates tend to blacken more than they brown when they’re flipped upside down.  The grease dripping down creates flare-up’s increasing the over char of the crust.    

I have an old lava stone from my days cooking on a vision.It is pretty slick from being cooked on and collecting a seasoning after years of use. I be it would work to do the same thing. I will just set it low in a spider  with out a grate above it.