Grill Fried Hot Wings

Made some grill fried hot wings on the Kamado Joe classic. Seasoned the wings with some kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Sprayed them with some vegetable oil, tossed them in some Lefty's Spicey Fish & Chicken Mix. I highly recommend it if you can find it. I happened upon it at Shoprite and all I can say is I love it. After I applied one coat I rested the wings on a cookie cooling rack over a half sheet. An hour later when the dry mix got all gooey I applied a second coat to get it extra crispy. While that was resting I lit the KJ, inserted the deflector plates in the high position and brought the temp up to 425°. Once up to temp I let it ride for for 15 minutes just to make sure the grill was thoroughly warmed through.  Put the wings on and flipped them every 10 minutes for even cooking for 45 minutes and voila!!! Crispy hot wings.
    20181117_183019.thumb.jpg.47c804bc526bb16cce134872791a118c.jpg

20181117_183009.thumb.jpg.fa4dfea7c10d96adf9472311ec38019c.jpg

20181117_183016.thumb.jpg.f8ed409822d574cc380ee19535df6edf.jpg

20181117_193308.thumb.jpg.44b133329030cd8c4bbb4934676f9742.jpg

20181117_193323.thumb.jpg.76da8d10232248ee5024ef2956a0c878.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Those look great.  No problem finding Lefty's here, they are in my backyard.  Backstory my wife went to school with the owner's son, we've ate at the restaurant for years it's really good.  Try there sauces if you get a chance, I prefer the hot.  @aljosephif you want me to send you some just PM me and I'll get some out to you. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Bomb Dog Barbecue
      Does anyone have any experience with grilling whole squid? I toured my local "international" (their term) grocery store today and one item I saw was fresh whole squid. 

I'd like to take a crack at grilling it, but don't want to waste money winging it. Any tips/guidelines you have would be appreciated! Happy grilling 
    • By Bomb Dog Barbecue
      I have a question for the community about fire construction and how much charcoal I should be using when I set up a cook. I have a KJ Classic III and have been using the SloRoller for all of my low and slow cooks.

On some of my larger cooks (one pork butt, a full brisket, and then two boneless pork shoulders) I have burned through all of my fuel before the cook was done. I filled the standard KJ ash basket with charcoal and then light it up with one KJ firestarter. I was smoking everything at around 250F and followed the heating method described by SmokingDad BBQ on his YouTube channel (it worked well!).

Does anyone have an image of what their charcoal looks like when setting up for a 10lb brisket or pork butt?
    • By KamadoMax
      Ingredients
      - Chicken Wings
      - Oil
      - Kosmos Q Wing Dust (optional)
      - Your favorite Wing Sauce 

Directions
      This cook is so simple! I take the wing portions and coat them in some neutral oil (canola, EVOO, Avocado). Then I toss in Kosmos Q Wing dust - for this one I used their Buffalo version but you can chose your favorite. If you don't have wing dust, you can use salt and pepper along with some cayenne. Once the wings are coated I throw them into the Napoleon basket which is attached to the JoeTisserie. As with most of my JoeTisserie cooks, I bank the coals to the back and let them come up to about 400-425 degrees. Put the JoeTisserie in place and turn it on! The wings will rotate for about 45 minutes, or until perfectly golden brown and crispy. Take them out and enjoy as is or with your favorite wing sauce! 

I love doing wings this way. For me, it's the best way to get consistently crispy and perfectly done wings. The really taste like they came out of a fryer. 

Enjoy the video! 

• By Big Biscuit
      Made some cod the other day on the KJ classic for me and my wife. It's a fairly simple and light meal for anyone watching their waistline. All I did was make two foil packets spray them down with some oil. Then I lined it with sliced onions, and tomatoes. After that I placed two pieces of cod loin which I've seasoned with some McCormick's Garden Vegetable on the veggies. Then tossed on some sliced lemons. Put them on the KJ and cooked till the cod hit an IT of 140°.
    • By DerHusker
      Spent an uneventful time at home watching it rain outside most of the weekend. The one thing we could do was prepare for the Super Bowl. What goes good while watching a football game? Wings & Thangs of course. I’ve made these Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings and Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins before and they turned out great so I made them again and decided to share the pics.
      See link for detailed recipe and cooking method:  https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/38718-honey-sriracha-chicken-wings-and-buffalo-chicken-potato-skins/
      All I got this time were these plated shots

They were extremely delicious just like the last time.
      Thanks for looking.