ChiTownBull

How long between a high temp cook before you can use Kamado to smoke meat at low temp

If I bring the KJ up to say 400 with no heat deflector what is the best way to cool it down to be able to cool it down to be able to smoke a turkey? Also, how long would you anticipate it taking? I live in FL so outdoor temps will be in the 70's tomorrow. 

I have never attempted this so want to make sure I can plan accordingly.

Thanks! 

If you have an ash basket and a metal container big enough you could conceivably remove the fire by pulling the ash basket, snuff the fire or coals in the metal container, open the kamado and let it cool without fuel and then build a new fire once the temps have dropped.  The "iffy" part would be pulling the ash basket while it has a hot fire in it. I have removed and inserted my KJ ash basket that held a fire by hooking it to the D&C ring and using welding gloves before but proper care should be taken. A 400 degree fire is hot but far from "nuclear". Obviously if you do this then you bear all responsibility. One of the reasons I like having an ash basket is because of the added versatility it provides.

Safety first but maybe it helps.

31 minutes ago, T Yelta said:

If you have an ash basket and a metal container big enough you could conceivably remove the fire by pulling the ash basket, snuff the fire or coals in the metal container, open the kamado and let it cool without fuel and then build a new fire once the temps have dropped.  The "iffy" part would be pulling the ash basket while it has a hot fire in it. I have removed and inserted my KJ ash basket that held a fire by hooking it to the D&C ring and using welding gloves before but proper care should be taken. A 400 degree fire is hot but far from "nuclear". Obviously if you do this then you bear all responsibility. One of the reasons I like having an ash basket is because of the added versatility it provides.

Safety first but maybe it helps.

If you even think about attempting this, you’re on the verge of Bat Shizzel crazy, but if you do, I’d recommend against shorts and thongs. You know, just to be on the safe side.

3 hours ago, Never L8 4 chow said:

If you even think about attempting this, you’re on the verge of Bat Shizzel crazy, but if you do, I’d recommend against shorts and thongs. You know, just to be on the safe side.

I've been called worse and I do somewhat resemble that remark :rofl:

At all times I endeavor to avoid thongs

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Yup.. remove the charcoal from the grill and it's cooled down enough in 15 minutes with the lid open to start over again.  And at 400f how much lower are you wanting to go to cook a turkey?  350 sounds perfect to me.

350 sounds good to me too.

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

You can use tongs to remove the hot coals to a metal bucket... i have done this many times... you can also form two hooks with coathangers to lift out a kick ash basket... 

:good:

On my offset if I wanted to lower the heat (without opening the firebox) I would close off all airflow to the fire and open up the top vent all the way to remove hot air without adding airflow to the fire. I would imagin this work on a kamado as well, however I've tried it last Sunday and it seemed to take a lot longer than on my offset.

I started looking on the internet and found someone who said you should close all vents, wait for temp drop, then open the lid for a couple seconds, close it again, wait for them to drop, open  again etc untill the wanted temp is reached. 

This worked quite well :)