Sign in to follow this  
Riz58

Lid will not open following brisket cook

I smoked a brisket last week on my Primo XL.  When I went to open it after it cooled down, it is like the lid is welded shut.  Lifting the handle has not effect, and the whole unit begins to lift.  It is still that way a week later.  Anyone experience this before?  What is the solution?  I was thinking of taking my propane torch and running it around the edges to heat them up, but was a little concerned about damaging the gaskets.  Thanks in advance for your response.

I am betting that there was sauce/juice/grease etc on the gaskets and it hardened as the grill cooled.  You need to heat the grill back up to get it to release.  I would not use a torch.. you might try a heat gun with no flame invoved if you are unable to build a small fire in the bottom fo the grill via the lower air vent.

Thanks for the reply guys.  I was a little reluctant to put charcoal directly on the ceramic base, but I may need to do so.  I already tried opening the vents, but it was not any form of vacuum lock.  If the charcoal does not warm it enough, I will try the heat gun suggestion.  I tried a thin knife like a butter knife, but the thing is clamped like a vise, and I was worried I would shred my gaskets although I may need to replace them anyway. 

On 12/6/2018 at 3:22 PM, Golf Griller said:

Did you ever get your lid open? If so, how did you do it and what was the cause for it not opening?

I will try this Sunday afternoon.  Between snow storms and company, I have not had a chance to clean out the ash from the bottom and fire up some charcoal.  I will let you all know what worked.  Thanks for your interest.

Sorry for the long delay.  Last weekend my son and I finally got to the task.  We took a butter knife, heated with a torch (hot to touch, but not red hot), and worked it between a small space we could see in the gaskets.  Little bit of work back and forth, and part way around, we were able to open the lid.

It was smoke residue and who knows what else that created the "glue" .  I am working on getting the gaskets cleaned up, and after the last cook, I put paper towels between the gaskets to further absorb and pick up the gunk.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I have had this problem  after cleaning my Kamado.  It has always been grease  running down and firing on the gaskets and fusing them. This has happened  three separate times with a burn off. I my case I have concluded it is from cooking chicken raised direct and the result of grease coating the dome and running down when I do a burn off and burning into the gaskets. My conclusion is that cooking with the diffuser in place and catching the grease in a drip pan would do a lot to prevent it. Said another way difuser and drip pan are the more safe and proven way for good reason. With my method of direct cooking I probably need to do a 600 degree burn off once for  8 direct set up leg quarter cooks or once a month minimum. Santa Maria style cooking in a kamado will require  much more frequent burn off to prevent the gaskets seizing.

I did find a workable method. that is to use a car scissor jack and use it to lift on a table and raise the kamado by the dome handle and let it sit a few days under tension. Then I tapped a very thin inch and one half Spackle knife through between the gaskets and when the second knife was tapped in it jumped open lifted by the jack. In my case heat would not do anything because the inside of the gaskets were crystallized in carbon.  Amazingly my ceramic fiber gaskets were fine and I do not need to replace them.

I also had this happen a couple of weeks ago . I had not used my grill for a couple of months .  My grill is outside under a grill cover , but     I figure the colder weather and wet conditions helped mine . I moved it into the garage , started my kerosene space heater near it and         stuck my electric shop heat gun in the chimney hole and set it on high . Had the top open in twenty minutes .