Sign in to follow this  
Riz58

Lid will not open following brisket cook

I smoked a brisket last week on my Primo XL.  When I went to open it after it cooled down, it is like the lid is welded shut.  Lifting the handle has not effect, and the whole unit begins to lift.  It is still that way a week later.  Anyone experience this before?  What is the solution?  I was thinking of taking my propane torch and running it around the edges to heat them up, but was a little concerned about damaging the gaskets.  Thanks in advance for your response.

I don't have any direct knowledge, but have you tried opening the vents just in case a vacuum was created from the fire? Just thinking outside the box on this.

Edited by Golf Griller

I am betting that there was sauce/juice/grease etc on the gaskets and it hardened as the grill cooled.  You need to heat the grill back up to get it to release.  I would not use a torch.. you might try a heat gun with no flame invoved if you are unable to build a small fire in the bottom fo the grill via the lower air vent.

Thanks for the reply guys.  I was a little reluctant to put charcoal directly on the ceramic base, but I may need to do so.  I already tried opening the vents, but it was not any form of vacuum lock.  If the charcoal does not warm it enough, I will try the heat gun suggestion.  I tried a thin knife like a butter knife, but the thing is clamped like a vise, and I was worried I would shred my gaskets although I may need to replace them anyway. 

On 12/6/2018 at 3:22 PM, Golf Griller said:

Did you ever get your lid open? If so, how did you do it and what was the cause for it not opening?

I will try this Sunday afternoon.  Between snow storms and company, I have not had a chance to clean out the ash from the bottom and fire up some charcoal.  I will let you all know what worked.  Thanks for your interest.