Smokin J

Hell has frozen over and it's time to Smoke!

Morning! 4:51 and it's almost time to get the bird in some heat. Posting as a follow along with a few questions. Outside temps are going to be below 20°F. Is there any danger to my grill with those temps? Vision you watching this? Lol

21lbs turkey brined for 21hrs. 

Here we go

IMG_5698.PNG

2 hours ago, Smokin J said:

Morning! 4:51 and it's almost time to get the bird in some heat. Posting as a follow along with a few questions. Outside temps are going to be below 20°F. Is there any danger to my grill with those temps? Vision you watching this? Lol

21lbs turkey brined for 21hrs. 

Here we go

IMG_5698.PNG

No issue with the temperature other than probably have a greater lump consumption rate. Carry on...... 

17 minutes ago, Walrus said:

Not to be a downer.. but are those home depot buckets food safe (don't leech out any chemicals?)

I don't really buy into that idea. Long-term storage I might worry about that but 21 hours I doubt enough of anything is going to leach out to be a health hazard unless of course you live in California - LOL. But then again everything in California causes cancer. 

Oh forgot to add. Yesterday was prep day. Made sure to clean the grill inside and out so this morning would be a bit faster. The bucket is hdpe 2. I'll get a pic in a min or two. I did check before I bought it. Thanks for bringing it up though.

IMG_5703.PNG

29 minutes ago, prowe said:

I have also heard that anything and everything orange causes cancer in California.

I can say this, nothing in GA causes cancer. In GA they're not even sure cigarettes cause cancer :)

5 hours ago, Walrus said:

Not to be a downer.. but are those home depot buckets food safe (don't leech out any chemicals?)

Many municipalities are going to HDPE for their drinking water supplies.   The components should be the same for all HDPE products.  Virtually indestructible and easy to connect together.   I tried to poke a backhoe bucket tooth through a 4" piece one time.   I did it.........finally, but the next day, the ones that failed to penetrate, were back in their original form.   Good stuff.

11 hours ago, Smokin J said:

HomeCreepo buckets are okay for food. At least mine is. 

Just because it says HDPE, doesn't automatically make it food grade. Even says so on the orange bucket product page under 'Product Overview'. https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-5-Gal-Homer-Bucket-05GLHD2/100087613 It could be because they have never been tested, but are actually safe. Or... they aren't safe due to the chemicals mixed with it to make them orange.

You never know, and should switch to a bucket that is, like this white one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-70mil-Food-Safe-Bucket-White-005GFSWH020/300197644