Sign in to follow this  
Marty

Storage of probe in the Thermo works probes in zip wallet

Just a heads up . I bought two ChefAlarm units that included  the "zip wallet" , both of these probes went bad . I assume it is because because of how the case bends the cables. The case just IMO needs to be larger to accommodate the probes. I do like the TW products but the probes do like all probes need to be kept from kinking or hard bends.

Hi Marty. I`ve had my chef alarm for 2 years and still on original probes. In fact I just changed the batteries after 2 yrs of use 2 to 3 times a week. For storage I hang mine on the side of the fridge over 2 magnetic clips. That way I`m not coiling them up after each use.

I have a Smoke and a Flame Boss. I got an el cheapo small plastic tool box at Harbor Freight @$5. Store everything in it. Made some compartments out of cardboard. They have a lot more expensive, foam lined, box line of boxes too.  My box is organized and not a "can of worms".

M.

I am thinking of wrapping the cable around a piece of paper towel cardboard tube. Stuffing the tube with a piece of packing foam and inserting the probe into a hole in the foam. cutting a notch in the tube to slip the end of the cable and the connector through to hold it secure.  Haven't tried it yet, but think it will work. No kinking in the cable and the probe is protected and held secure. I will let you know how it works. My wife just asked me if an over size plastic hair roller would work as well. I am going to mess around with this idea. 

55 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I am thinking of wrapping the cable around a piece of paper towel cardboard tube. Stuffing the tube with a piece of packing foam and inserting the probe into a hole in the foam. cutting a notch in the tube to slip the end of the cable and the connector through to hold it secure.  Haven't tried it yet, but think it will work. No kinking in the cable and the probe is protected and held secure. I will let you know how it works. My wife just asked me if an over size plastic hair roller would work as well. I am going to mess around with this idea. 

Keeper ya got the mental juices flowing with the cardboard tube.   Yelled at my wife in the other room and asked her if she emptied any ribbon spools this Xmas, I'd like to check out the empty spools.   She said she had just thrown some in the recycle bin yesterday.   Went to the garage and rummaged around and found 4 that were a perfect fit.   And plastic to boot.  Gives the cable a gentle wrap around about a 3" diameter and then rubber band around the middle.   Been storing them in a rubbermaid bin all jumbled up but now, I HAVE ORGANIZATION!!!  Thanks Keeperoftheflame.P1010698.thumb.JPG.755fe1e28bd777953dfbd8def94dd03a.JPGP1010699.thumb.JPG.b38cc1cc23c5114401f4bfcd37fa2f7f.JPG