Jump to content

mike echo

Western NC, Central and East NC and SC Sauces

Recommended Posts

I have verified by first-hand experience, locally made, what I suspected-sauces. Used to buy a T-shirt on a visit, but now I sample BBQ.

 

I have always been a vinegar base sauce fan (Wilburs BBQ, Goldsboro NC, 1985ish) really liking mustard base (Hudson's, Lexington SC, 2018) and now I can say I like the western NC combo mustard and a hint of tomato sauce, almost a gold color (Hickory, NC, 2018).

 

Usually, make my own.  Almost as fun as using my KJ.

 

Stubbs is my back up if I need to go store bought. Rarely.

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mike echo said:

I have verified by first-hand experience, locally made, what I suspected-sauces. Used to buy a T-shirt on a visit, but now I sample BBQ.

 

I have always been a vinegar base sauce fan (Wilburs BBQ, Goldsboro NC, 1985ish) really liking mustard base (Hudson's, Lexington SC, 2018) and now I can say I like the western NC combo mustard and a hint of tomato sauce, almost a gold color (Hickory, NC, 2018).

 

Usually, make my own.  Almost as fun as using my KJ.

 

Stubbs is my back up if I need to go store bought. Rarely.

 

M.

 

Where did you get a sauce with mustard in Hickory?  That's not common in this part of the state...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

 

Where did you get a sauce with mustard in Hickory?  That's not common in this part of the state...

 

 

Cultural Appropriation of NC/SC sauce recipies.  Canada is a very guilty party here.  Food processors in Canada remix US based BBQ sauces & rubs while still calling them Memphis Style, Texas Style and Carolina Style when they only borowed a small portion of the original recipe.   

 

Companies in Edmonton, Mississauga, Calgary and Burnaby produce a ridiculous amount of sauces they call Carolina, Texas and Memphis Style even though they’re adding a lot of ingredients people in the south would rarely use in their traditional recipes.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have lived in NC all my life and I'm familiar with the styles here quite intimately.  Because of this, I know that the styles are not well defined by any means.  The most popular (and my least favorite) of the NC styles are the vinegar based mop sauces of eastern NC.  And they are different at any particular place you get them.  Mustard doesn't find its way into NC sauces very frequently. 

 

I lived in Hickory NC most of my life and I am just curious which place is putting a mustard sauce on the table.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I have lived in NC all my life and I'm familiar with the styles here quite intimately.  Because of this, I know that the styles are not well defined by any means.  The most popular (and my least favorite) of the NC styles are the vinegar based mop sauces of eastern NC.  And they are different at any particular place you get them.  Mustard doesn't find its way into NC sauces very frequently. 

 

I lived in Hickory NC most of my life and I am just curious which place is putting a mustard sauce on the table.  

At a wedding reception, this last Saturday at Warehouse 18. Bride and Groom Lenoir-Rhyne Grads. I tasted the Qsauce and asked the catering attendant, "is this a mustard BBQ sauce?"-like you was not ready for a mustard base in Hickory. Got a dumb look but also asked a local guy and his wife sitting at our table and they said yes, it was a mustard base. The food choices were quite eclectic (never had shrimp and grits before:good:). Maybe sauce was a specific choice by the wedding party?

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with John.  Was in Hickory for almost 4 years and never had a mustard based sauce.  Must have been something special for the wedding as you suggested.  Was it good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only had the mustard based sauce in Western TN - at several places - maybe it was just the places I went to and not widespread.  Odd how things migrate.  

 

It is neat how different sauce types are by location and it doesn't even have to be that far.  Where I am in Western KY, we are more of a tangy/little spice sauce, but down the road in Owensboro - they are more into a vinegar mop, with a heavy on the vinegar sauce - and known for Mutton (My personal favorite).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I perfer stick with the original real deal local recipies when making a sauce.  There’s too many people and companies on the web who simply slap the words Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, etc to promote their sauce/recipe that has little or nothing to do with the region.   

 

I’ll admit to dailing back the amount of vinegar in some Carolina recipes.  You have be a hardcore vinegar lover when some recipies are calling for 3 cups of Apple Cider vinegar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I perfer stick with the original real deal local recipies when making a sauce.  There’s too many people and companies on the web who simply slap the words Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, etc to promote their sauce/recipe that has little or nothing to do with the region.   

 

I’ll admit to dailing back the amount of vinegar in some Carolina recipes.  You have be a hardcore vinegar lover when some recipies are calling for 3 cups of Apple Cider vinegar. 

20181126_Gentrys.jpg

 

Try these if you get a chance.  This Roscoe's Mop Sauce is as good or better than any NC sauce I have ever tried, and I have tried about all of them... original recipes on site at the famous places and all... 

 

The Cakalacki Gold is exellent.  I have had a lot of variations of the SC mustard sauce before and there is not a very well defined version of it out there.  

 

Here's MY version of an NC sauce... it's pretty good but I like the Roscoe's better....

 

 

Ingredients:

 

4oz chopped bacon

1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

3/4 cup beef broth

1/2 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/4 cup ketchup

2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder

Salt to taste

 

Add all the ingredients to a sauce pan except the red pepper flakes and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until the bacon renders most of its fat. Remove the bacon and turn off the heat. Add the red pepper flakes and salt and let cool to room temperature if storing. Put in a container and refrigerate for up to six weeks. Reheat before serving...

 

Here's MY version of the SC sauce.  This is bangin' good.  I like it better than the Cakalacki Gold, but the Gold sauce is still a contender:

 

Ingredients:

 

2c yellow mustard

2 tsp brown sugar

1/2 c red wine vinegar

1/2 c cider vinegar

4 tsp worcestershire sauce

1 tsp black pepper

 

Wisk it all together and refrigerate.  NO cook on this recipe...

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 1:29 PM, John Setzler said:

20181126_Gentrys.jpg

 

Try these if you get a chance.  This Roscoe's Mop Sauce is as good or better than any NC sauce I have ever tried, and I have tried about all of them... original recipes on site at the famous places and all... 

 

The Cakalacki Gold is exellent.  I have had a lot of variations of the SC mustard sauce before and there is not a very well defined version of it out there.  

 

Here's MY version of an NC sauce... it's pretty good but I like the Roscoe's better....

 

 

Ingredients:

 

4oz chopped bacon

1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

3/4 cup beef broth

1/2 cup white vinegar

1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar

1/4 cup ketchup

2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder

Salt to taste

 

Add all the ingredients to a sauce pan except the red pepper flakes and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until the bacon renders most of its fat. Remove the bacon and turn off the heat. Add the red pepper flakes and salt and let cool to room temperature if storing. Put in a container and refrigerate for up to six weeks. Reheat before serving...

 

Here's MY version of the SC sauce.  This is bangin' good.  I like it better than the Cakalacki Gold, but the Gold sauce is still a contender:

 

Ingredients:

 

2c yellow mustard

2 tsp brown sugar

1/2 c red wine vinegar

1/2 c cider vinegar

4 tsp worcestershire sauce

1 tsp black pepper

 

Wisk it all together and refrigerate.  NO cook on this recipe...

 

 

 

 

 

I was planing on buying some bottles from Dickson’s BBQ in Toronto.  The BBQ stores in Toronto are impressive.  Surprisingly, Toronto has some of the most impressive BBQ stores in world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×