Sign in to follow this  
deck

Venison

Hi all!  I have a few questions about Deer meat! Did the search and found some great looking recipes. Sadly I don't have a bone shoulder or ground. Not really sure that I can make snausages. I was gifted frozen "roasts" and "stew meat". I did take some of the stew meat added a tube of spicy sausage gave it a couple pulses on the food processor made some patties. Turned out nice kind of like brats without the casing. I am looking for some guidelines on venison.  What is the IT need to be to be safe? Can I use one of these roasts and low slo? Is there enough fat to do this? Or should this be a higher temp cook? What can I do with the roasts? (Ive gathered that I could use it like a pot roast)  Thanks.

I'll try to answer these in order:

1) I don't think there is a recommended IT for deer meat, you said you had a "roast"

If it's the backstrap, I usually cook it to about 125-130 because venison gets toughtoughtough quick. I also usually sous vide it and then sear it in cast iron when i do this

2) i've never done venison low and slow, but I'm not sure it would be all that good of an idea, since it lacks that intramuscular fat of beef. that said, you could smoke one for a brief time as low as possible for flavor, then blast it for the outer crust, a-la reverse sear.

my friend does this with backstraps, but he wraps them in pork, it is...very tasty

higher temp, spinning on the rotisserie may be a good option, but without knowing what your "roast" is, your best best bet is probably to brown it in a hot dutch oven, take it out, add some aromatics, then throw that meat in there with some red wine and herbs and some tomato paste and let time do the work for you.

Thanks for the reply!  I did take one and cut it into jerky strips. Did them on the electric smoker turned out okish. I could defiantly see that there was little to no fat, just silver skin. I am going to try the reverse sear idea and then the dutch oven method. Its a meat that I have not prepared so was trying to get some idea of what to do. As far as being "roasts" I have no idea what part of the deer they came from. I doubt that I would be so lucky to get a back strap I know those are the prized cuts.