Sign in to follow this  
fbov

Unplanned flour test

We decided to do pizza Sunday, after Thanksgiving, and I only had 500g of Anna Napoletana Tipo 00 flour, so I did a second dough using Bob's Red Mill Artisan bread four.  Both made Thursday (Thanksgiving) at 65% hydration, split and refrigerator aged. Baked six pies in no specific order. 

Noticed a consistent doughiness from the Artisan flour pies. Did a cross section and was surprised by what I found.
(Top: Artisan , Bottom: Tipo 00)

1543992084_PizzaNapvBobs.thumb.jpg.e9fdd2247ed675d46616af6c65c8fb64.jpg

The lower pie has (from the bottom) three layers, nice open bread dough, a red sauce layer, and toppings dominated by white cheese. 

The upper pie has four layers, bread dough topped by a dense, white layer, then red sauce and toppings. 

It appears that the bread flour doughs absorbed moisture and formed an interface layer that doesn't cook, even at 800F. None of the three Tipo 00 pies had this layer, despite using the same pot of sauce, bowl of grated mozzarella, and toppings on most pies. A "leftover" pie made using turkey gravy as sauce was especially doughy.

Looks like I need to stock more Tipo 00 in the pantry. 

Frank

The fire story. Started with a full basket of a little old coal, the end of a bag of mesquite coal, topped with some Royal Oak to top off. Aiming for 650-700F, I didn't watch it, and it ran up to 850F, and stabilized. Kids were late or sleeping, so I made:

Pie #1, a Tipo 00 dough, cooked 3.5 min @ 800F+

Sometime later...

Pie #2, a Tipo 00 dough, cooked 6 min. @ 700F. Pictured above. 

Pie #3 is the first Artisan dough, cooked 8 min. @ 650F. Pictured above. 

Then the fire died. Fuel was gone. Took a break for a re-build with all mesquite, and again attained 850F! OK, I was watching football; my team was winning!

Pie #4 is the last Tipo 00 dough, cooked 4 min @ 800F

Pie #5 is another Artisan dough, a special made with gravy, cooked 6 min. @ 750F. very doughy. 

Pie #6 is the last Artisan dough, cooked 8 min @ 700F in hopes of more fully cooking it. No joy.

All three Artisan bread flour pies had the dough layer. None of the Tipo 00 pies did. Cooking time and temp did vary, but only to achieve consistent cooking. 

Have fun, 

Frank

I basically agree with @landscaper. A dough recipe formulated for 00 flour is going to be different than one formulated for Artisan flour. Also temps and times are going to be significantly different when using 00 flour compared to Artisan flour. You can't just mix it up like that. (I do understand you ran out of 00 flour and you punted) Sounds like your recipe was formulated to use 00 flour. Find a different recipe for the Artisan flour. 

Well, it turns out that Bob's Artisan bread flour has a recipe on the bag, and it's the same as I use with 00 - flour, water, yeast and salt. Bob's is a 10 oz. 2-pie recipe while I usually get 3 from 500g  of 00. Only differences is hydration, Bob's calls for 60% while I used 65% in both of these doughs because I hadn't planned to cook above 700F. 

Crusts cooked the same, all pies were nice and crisp. Very similar browning, top and bottom; everything looked great. The photo shows that. The mouth feel was more like doughy toppings on a crisp crust even though the toppings were boiling like mad when it came out.  

Maybe Italian pizza flour is different?

Frank

Edited by fbov

2 hours ago, fbov said:

Watched your videos, John, so that was my expectation, too. Of course, I kind of overshot the target temperature... 

You have me curious now.  I am wondering exactly how two different flours could produce the differences you saw.  00 flour is not a 'different' flour... it's a different grind.. a finer grind.  The bread flour was a higher protein flour.  I don't typically use bread flour for pizza but I have used it on a few occasions.  I have never used Bob's.  I have always used King Arthur.  The bread flour should have produced a stronger gluten network.  Let's see if @Ben S has any thoughts on this...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Bryant Kamado
      300℃ and 10 minutes, the skills is how to put the pizza upper on the paddle :)) 

• By KJTerp
      Sound off everyone! What's the plan for this weekend?

I'm thinking pizza one night, and trying a smoked chuck roast/poor mans burnt ends for the other.

Both of these will be firsts for me. I think I have a pretty good idea on how to do the pizza based one what ive read here, and my experience with the devil hotbox inside the house, but any advice/input on the chuck roast would be appreciated. I've braised plenty, but this will be the first smoked one. I was planning on treating it exactly like brisket, with just a shorter overall cook time.
    • By pesto3
      Hi everyone, I’m a bit obsessed with pizza’s so I’ve been knocking a few pizza dough recipes out. There are so many great doughs that I just want to share them. If you like pizza’s, it’s worth a watch. Cheers.

• By Lydia
      One of my favourite pizza combos.  

I used the John Lanzafame base recipe, which for one pizza is listed below but please note, I usually multiply by 4 to make two pizzas today and freeze the other two for another time:

1 teaspoon dried active yeast
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon sugar
      100ml (3 1/2 fl oz) warm water
      2 teaspoons oil, plus extra for greasing
      160g (5 1/2oz) all purpose flour (I used pizza flour)

1. Place first four ingredients in a bowl and whisk until just combined.
      2. Slowly whisk in olive oil
      3. Leave in a warm spot for ten minutes until it's all thick and bubbly
      4. Add the flour and knead for 15 mins.  (with my usual MO of making 4 at a time, I start the kneading on the kitchenmaid on speed 2 until just combined and then continue on speed 1 for 15 mins).
      5. Rub the inside of a large pot or bowl with a bit of oil, place the dough inside and cover with a clean tea towel and leave for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs or until doubled in size.
      6. Give it a good punch to expel the trapped air.
      7. At this stage, it can be wrapped and refrigerated or frozen.  (I usually put in an additional freezer bag because it really likes to expand and will pop a whole and blow out of regular plastic wrap).  If making from frozen, bring to room temp and place nice and cosy inside a clean tea towel until risen by half again.

8.  If going from

Toppings:

I used :

- one can of whole Italian tomatoes, blended and cooked down with a little water, salt and Italian herbs.  (this does me for 4 pizzas - I usually put half in - a small sealy bag so it's ready to defrost next time I pull out the two frozen doughs)
      - fresh mozzarella which you get in the tub of whey and which you tear apart
      - 12 lovely Aussie prawns (shrimp) which are peeled but not cooked prior to placing not the pizza
      - relatively thinly sliced zucchini
      - cherry tomatoes halved
      - some little chunks of home made pesto which I shaved off from a block I keep in the freezer
      - rind of one lemon microplaned
      - a couple of tablespoons of panko crumbs
      - a good dash of olive oil to get the panko and lemon combined and so it isn't dry. 

I cranked the kamado up to 550F

When assembling, i put a little bit of semolina on some greaseproof paper before rolling out the dough onto it.    
      I am in the  camp of sauce first, followed by cheese and then the toppings, pretty much in the order they're listed above.

To cook it, I had the steel grates in position and then the deflectors on top and then used some terracotta pot plant feet as a spacer between the deflectors and the pizza stone. (a great tip from Kismet Kamado)

It was pretty much done after 10 mins with a nice crispy bottom ... no soggy bottoms at Chez Lydia! :-)

• By St1brew
      Ingredients for dough are 1.5 cup self rising flour and 1 plain Greek yogurt. Apparently I picked up regular plain yogurt. It tastes better with Greek though....
      After a bit of kneading it looks like this.

Here are some of the toppings we used.

Mozzarella, blue cheese, fresh tomatoes, capicola, and pizza sauce. Not pictured are honey and fresh chives form the yard. First up was the cheese pizza as requested by the 4 year old. Ingredients: pizza sauce and mozzarella. Here's a pic of it hitting the grill! Sort of..... More like half done. Grill at 500 degrees F for about 7 to 8 minutes per pizza.

Here is the finished product.

Next up was our dinner. Ingredients: Blue cheese, mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, capicola, honey, and chives. Before grilling pic.
      Finished it looked like this.

Crust pics! 1st one is cheese, second is meat.

Crispy and delicious!  These are the closest to slice photos I got. Again 1st cheese second is meat. 

The cheese came out better, maybe due to fact that it was a bit thinner and perhaps cooked more evenly. Super easy dough to make and much better with the greek yogurt as it almost mimics a sourdough more. Enjoy!