NickM

tri-tip - alternate wood to Oak

I'm planning to reverse sear a 2.5 pound tri-tip tomorrow. I read that oak is the preferred (if not the "authentic" choice) wood to use. I wasn't able to find any at the store today so I was thinking to either add apple or mesquite, both of which I already have. Which of the two would you recommend? I'm leaning mesquite. These would be a few chunks, not the main source of heat. Thanks for your time advice. 

Oak is so plentiful here in VA that you can't find it in the stores. I have tried. At any rate, it grows everywhere but that won't help you cook tomorrow. They sell it in the Bass-Pro Shop here where I am so you might find some there if you are close to one. May I ask where you purchased the tri-tip? I had heard that it wasn't for sale in the eastern U.S.

Where in VA are

2 hours ago, NickM said:

I'm planning to reverse sear a 2.5 pound tri-tip tomorrow. I read that oak is the preferred (if not the "authentic" choice) wood to use. I wasn't able to find any at the store today so I was thinking to either add apple or mesquite, both of which I already have. Which of the two would you recommend? I'm leaning mesquite. These would be a few chunks, not the main source of heat. Thanks for your time advice. 

58 minutes ago, T Yelta said:

Oak is so plentiful here in VA that you can't find it in the stores. I have tried. At any rate, it grows everywhere but that won't help you cook tomorrow. They sell it in the Bass-Pro Shop here where I am so you might find some there if you are close to one. May I ask where you purchased the tri-tip? I had heard that it wasn't for sale in the eastern U.S.

Where in VA are you guys located?

If it were up to me with your choices, I would combine the two woods, apple and mesquite, to achieve something in the middle.  Apple gives a nice mellow smoke, mesquite can be a little harsh.  I use local oak for tri-tip, but as cooking wood burned down to coals rather than something added for smoke.  I also cook tri-tip like the sirloin steak it is and cook it over flames/high heat rather than try to let it smoke in the kamado.  If I had a 2.5  lb tri-tip it would be off the grill and resting to slice in about 20 minutes.  

I'm in RVa and they have it Wegman's. It was on sale so I thought I'd give it try. My friend from fresno makes it all the time, he even gave me some Pappy's seasoning to use on it (what a lot folk use back in the Fresno area). I'm sure if I searched hard enough I could find some oak, but Wegman's, and Kroger didn't have any. I'll try elsewhere another day. I think I'll try a bit of both as suggested above. Thanks!

I went with just some mesquite and it came out amazing. Used kosher salt along with Pappy's to season it the night before. reversed seared it: 30 minutes at 250ish, flip and another 25 at 250ish. Removed it, let it rest a bit while I cranked the heat up to about 700. 1 minute each side. It was delicious, tender, and one of the best things I've grilled during the short few months I've owned my akorn (knock on wood, everything on there has been great). 

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4340.jpg

I live near Fresno and BBQ Tri Tip regularly. I almost always use Pappys (low salt version) and local Manzanita wood chunks. Manzanita gives a smoke flavor somewhere between Oak and Mesquite.