saltymason

first cook. complete failure. please help me.

A tough brisket is almost always undercooked.

That could be because of too low a temp (and not enough time) or just not enough time at whatever temp.

I like to cook them nearly 24 hours at as close to 200 as I can get my cooker to run.

I've also cooked them at 350 for 8 hours.

Wrapping in foil or butcher paper when internal temp its 160 helps as well.

I also find that cooking as far away from the ceramic diffuser (as in higher up in the cooker) as possible to be a good idea.

Remember, bad briskets is why we make chili..

Brisket is a tough cook to try as a first cook on a new grill. You didn't mention your overall level of experience, but if you're newer to outdoor/Kamado/charcoal cooking that makes it tougher still. 

I suggest following this up is up with some easier cooks. Pork shoulder for pulled pork BBQ is pretty forgiving, and very satisfying. Chicken, burgers, etc. Get a better handle on the ins and outs of your cooker before you do your next brisket.

Try John Setzler's smoked meatloaf. It's a simple cook and tastes fantastic. John has a slew of cooks on you tube and the KJ website, spend some time watching those, you'll learn a lot, plus they're great recipes too.

And don't give up, you bought a great cooker. With a little experience you'll be cooking fantastic meals.

I’ve had my KJ for several years and still have not tried a brisket, still have not mastered the temperature swings (although getting better.).  Watch John Sezler’s videos on the Kamado Joe cooking channel and you will learn A LOT! 

On 12/2/2018 at 2:01 AM, saltymason said:

for my first cook, I did beef brisket. I cut a 16 pound brisket into 3rds. It was a complete and utter failure. the meat was tough, overly salty, and dry.please help me get better.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Cook pork butt, cook pork butt, cook pork butt.  It is so forgiving and gives you a chance to learn your grill. 

Dry brine the pork butt by rubbing 1/2 tsp of salt per pound meat on 24 hours in advance and let rest in the refrigerator. Rub your preferred rub, be sure there is no salt in it, then cook at 250 F +-25 degrees until an internal temperature of about 200 F. Get a decent quality digital thermometer that measures grill temperature and meat temperature that had alarms to let you know when your grill temperature gets too high or low and let’s you know when you hit your target temperature.  There are reasonably priced ones that have a satilite you can carry with you. 

I agree that starting with a pork butt is the way to go.  Then once you have temp under control my favorite brisket method is 2hrs fat cap up 2 hrs fat cap down, wrap tightly in pink butcher paper for 4 more hours all at 250 or so.  I probe before 4 hrs because they have finished in 3 hrs after cooking.  I'm almost done one right now. 

Thank you everyone for taking time to reply. I did this 2 more times after this. 2nd time came out really tender and juicy. but it was bland because I under seasoned it. 3rd time was probably the best, but was still a hard fail. the meat was tender and had great texture, but the outside bark was way to salty, and the inside bland to my standards but not as bad as the second time. I have no idea how to penetrate the inside without over seasoning the outside.

for my third try i seasoned with salt and pepper and left it in the fridge overnight. i'm not sure if i'm using the right salt. fine crystal sea salt from trader joes? anyway, i feel like the temp and time was right, but I just don't know how to season this huge piece of meat. Any more help would be much appreciated. but for the time being, I'm going to take some of the other guys advice and work with pork first. 

1 hour ago, saltymason said:

Thank you everyone for taking time to reply. I did this 2 more times after this. 2nd time came out really tender and juicy. but it was bland because I under seasoned it. 3rd time was probably the best, but was still a hard fail. the meat was tender and had great texture, but the outside bark was way to salty, and the inside bland to my standards but not as bad as the second time. I have no idea how to penetrate the inside without over seasoning the outside.

for my third try i seasoned with salt and pepper and left it in the fridge overnight. i'm not sure if i'm using the right salt. fine crystal sea salt from trader joes? anyway, i feel like the temp and time was right, but I just don't know how to season this huge piece of meat. Any more help would be much appreciated. but for the time being, I'm going to take some of the other guys advice and work with pork first. 

You can always inject it with seasoning.

Ditch the fine sea salt and use kosher or large sea salt. Inject the brisket with beef broth. Smoke fat side down. Wrap in foil or put in disposable pan and cover when bark is set. If you smoke at a higher temp 250 or above, the window to catch it right is smaller. If you smoke at 250 or lower the window is more forgiving. But you have to watch it carefully when it gets to about 190 or so. Check it every 20 to 30 minutes. When it gets to 200 or so check it every 15 minutes. Its done when it probes tender and not by temperature. 

When it probes like buttah take it off and leave it unwrapped until the temp starts to fall. Wrap it back up with all the juices and put it in cooler to hold it for an hour minimum. Pull it out and slice it up and spoon some of the liquid over it. 

Enjoy!

Some good reading. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/smoked-brisket-texas-style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9UILZf0obk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTiRsduKcXk