philpom

We have the cheapest gas in the country

1 hour ago, Chris Topher said:

The US is apparently now the worlds largest oil producer. Cheap gas is good for consumers. Not so much for oil producers. 

It’s not good for Alberta or Texas.  Don’t worry, we’ll find a way to Jack-up prices again.  You always gotta enjoy cheap gas while it last.

Cheap gas is not good for anyone who likes this Earth. I doubt any of you are familiar with the Drake Equation. 

Simply put, the probability that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe hinges on  technological civilizations' ability to survive systematic threats of annihilation. If advanced civilization do succeed in countering these threats, the prediction is that there are more than 1,000,000,000 civilizations, such as our own, in the observable universe. 

If not, there are only 2. We can make that 1. Your call. 

Frank

1 hour ago, fbov said:

Cheap gas is not good for anyone who likes this Earth. I doubt any of you are familiar with the Drake Equation. 

Simply put, the probability that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe hinges on  technological civilizations' ability to survive systematic threats of annihilation. If advanced civilization do succeed in countering these threats, the prediction is that there are more than 1,000,000,000 civilizations, such as our own, in the observable universe. 

If not, there are only 2. We can make that 1. Your call. 

Frank

???? Who - or where - is No. 2? We only know of one civilization - ours. 

ETA: And here's the equation. 

First proposed by radio astronomer Frank Drake in 1961, the equation calculates the number of communicating civilizations by multiplying several variables. It's usually written, according to the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI), as:

N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L

N = The number of civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy whose electromagnetic emissions are detectable.

R* = The rate of formation of stars suitable for the development of intelligent life.

fp = The fraction of those stars with planetary systems.

ne = The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life.

fl = The fraction of suitable planets on which life actually appears.

fi = The fraction of life-bearing planets on which intelligent life emerges.

fc = The fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space.

L = The length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

The challenge (at least for now) is that astronomers don't have firm numbers on any of those variables, so any calculation of the Drake Equation remains a rough estimate for now. There have been, however, discoveries in some of these fields that give astronomers a better chance of finding the answer.

If we are 1 of 2 of the potential 1,000,000,000 then we are doing pretty well!  Affordable energy has improved the lives of hundreds of millions of people on earth in every way imaginable, food, sanitation, transportation and more.  I personally like my cheap gas.  

:)

15 hours ago, philpom said:

If we are 1 of 2 of the potential 1,000,000,000 then we are doing pretty well!  Affordable energy has improved the lives of hundreds of millions of people on earth in every way imaginable, food, sanitation, transportation and more.  I personally like my cheap gas.  

:)

It won’t last though.  The Oil Industry will find a way to push prices up again given enough time.

You have to enjoy it while it lasts.