Sign in to follow this  
TiCoyote

High-heat cleaned the AKORN...maybe overdid it.

I've been getting a lot of flareups from chicken grease on the smoking stone, so I decided to do a high-heat cleaning.  After the last cook, I opened both vents, and let it go for 25 min.  When I checked on it, the dome temp gauge was above 700.  I carefully opened the lid, and everything inside was glowing orange.  I couldn't close the top vent, by hand, even with gloves on, so I had to give it a friendly tap with a piece of PVC.  

When it cooled down, it looks like all of the seasoning has burned off of the cooking grate.  Also, the plastic tab came off of the top vent.  The O-ring looks melted.  The top vent feels looser, as in it slides open and closed more easily.  I can't tell if it's damaged or it simply had a coating of grease that made it feel tighter, and that burned off.  

Lesson learned.  Don't take the thing above 700.  600 is probably sufficient for cleaning.  

I plan to re-season the grates.   Should I replace the o-ring and the top vent?  What else should I check for damage?  

The top vent just got cleaned out and should be fine, you should re-season the grate. For the seal, just pinch it together all around, that should take care of it. The Akorn has one of the best seals on the market and is almost indestructible. I had a similar situation when I first got my grill, except my gauge pegged out.

What about the melted o-ring?  Issue or not?  

I'm not really sure whether I can replace it anyway, because the heads on the hex bolts that attach the vent to the hood are all corroded.  I'm not sure I'd be able to get them out without snapping the bolts.  Seems like they should be more weather- and heat-resistant.   

On 12/3/2018 at 10:38 AM, TiCoyote said:

What about the melted o-ring?  Issue or not?  

I'm not really sure whether I can replace it anyway, because the heads on the hex bolts that attach the vent to the hood are all corroded.  I'm not sure I'd be able to get them out without snapping the bolts.  Seems like they should be more weather- and heat-resistant.   

O-Ring in my red Akorn jr was broken upon assembly. Got a replacement from Chargiller quite awhile later because they were on backorder. Never had any issues running without it so never bothered to install it once I got it. I think it will be fine.