Sign in to follow this  
scarfmace

Tips and tricks for a new Blaze owner

Hey Everyone,

I've bought a Blaze Kamado a couple weeks ago and I'm still getting the hang of using a Kamado over my previous Offset smoker. Yesterday I did a rack of beef ribs on 110°C for 10h, they turned out great but the cook didn't go perfect. and I would like to get some tips and tricks from you all.

Here goes:

- It was pouring rain here yesterday: how do you guys keep rain out from the top vent?

- At one point, wind picked up something fierce and temp got raised to 200°C so I turned off all air vents. 1h later, my fire was dead and I had to remove the meat (with probes) and the lower grill to get the fire going again. The lower grill was super hot and very hard to take out an reposition, what kind of grill crate tool do you use to pick it up? 

- My temp gauge has water in it and was foggy all the time, does Blaze cover this under warranty? 

- How do you guys keep your aluminum outside body shining? I used white vinegar but wasn't able to remove any grease stains caused by the previous owner.

That's about it for now, If anybody feels like there is something good I should know as well, don't hesitate to let me know :).

For your amusement I've added a pic from yesterday when I lite her up. I've used an old door as a rain cover :). (Don't mind the rest of the crap on my terras, our neighbors are remodeling their garden and I told them they could store all there stuff with us)

IMAG0748.jpg

See replies below:

I've bought a Blaze Kamado a couple weeks ago and I'm still getting the hang of using a Kamado over my previous Offset smoker. Yesterday I did a rack of beef ribs on 110°C for 10h, they turned out great but the cook didn't go perfect. and I would like to get some tips and tricks from you all.

- It was pouring rain here yesterday: how do you guys keep rain out from the top vent?

You are going to have to just keep the kamado covered when not in use (I bought a cheap yet tough cover on Amazon), or use in under a covered area.

- At one point, wind picked up something fierce and temp got raised to 200°C so I turned off all air vents. 1h later, my fire was dead and I had to remove the meat (with probes) and the lower grill to get the fire going again. The lower grill was super hot and very hard to take out an reposition, what kind of grill crate tool do you use to pick it up? 

Sometimes the wind will affect the temps, I have never had any huge swings like what you are talking about, try to keep the kamado out of the wind. Also, if you haven't done so, download the manual from the website to show you what settings to use for what temps. 

I used a grill grate tool, not sure the name brand, but nothing special, spring loaded. 

- My temp gauge has water in it and was foggy all the time, does Blaze cover this under warranty? 

The next time you use the kamado, the water will evaporate. 

- How do you guys keep your aluminum outside body shining? I used white vinegar but wasn't able to remove any grease stains caused by the previous owner.

I actually use a green scrubbing pad and dish soap. I have pressure washed it also. 

As far as a "shine", it's not going to happen unless you use metal polish, and I feel that is a waste of time. I have owned enough magnalite pots to know that over time, they will darken. 

That's about it for now, If anybody feels like there is something good I should know as well, don't hesitate to let me know :).

Keep the top vent clean, or it will stick when it is hot. I personally do a "clean burn" (crank it up wide open to burn off all the crap on the inside), then let it cool down completely. I will then either clean it with dish soap and a scrubbing pad or a pressure washer. I have owned mine for a while and do not have any major complaints. 

For your amusement I've added a pic from yesterday when I lite her up. I've used an old door as a rain cover :). (Don't mind the rest of the crap on my terras, our neighbors are remodeling their garden and I told them they could store all there stuff with us)