UTVol

Charcoal Grill: Square vs. Kettle?

Ok gurus, I'm out of my depth here.  Planning a family vacation on the beach this coming summer and there is no grill where we're going.  I'm looking to pick up a charcoal grill for the week, nothing fancy.  My first tendency is to grab a weber but they are not cheap.  I've seen these square grills which look cheap and are about half the price and am wondering if there's any downside.  Looking for any thoughts or inputs.  

I think you can make them work, a little shopping and you might find one of those square ones for a $20 bill.  You could also look for one of the many generic kettle style cookers if you are concerned but I honestly think you'll be fine with the square one especially if you don't plan on keeping it.  On the other hand if you want something that will last and you can use for many years grab a weber kettle.

Yes to what @Scott Roberts said... the Weber Jumbo Joe is a perfect travel grill if an 18" grill is big enough for you.  That grill is about $65, which is a bargain.  If you wanna spend a little extra, they also sell a table that the Jumbo Joe will sit on and bring it to a nice working height....

We found a free square one that's used or if its not worth it, I was eyeing that $60 weber maybe even the $99 18" weber.  Just wasnt sure if it was worth it.  Sounds like the square one is fine for a one and done.  I was trying to justify a KJ Jr but its a stretch.  I want one anyway but wanted to get it as part of a demo deal from Costco.

Thanks for the input everyone!

This time of year near me reatilers seem to blow out small grills. You might be surprised what you can find at Walmarts or home stores. 

I ended up with a car full of Akorn Jr's about a year ago.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:48 PM, gotzero said:

This time of year near me reatilers seem to blow out small grills. You might be surprised what you can find at Walmarts or home stores. 

I ended up with a car full of Akorn Jr's about a year ago.

Hmmm....I could go for that for sure.  I'll keep my eyes open.  Thanks!