2 hours ago, landscaper said:

I think Perfect describes that shot. 

WOW! 

Yup, edge to edge rosie pink, doesn't get any  better than that. Very Nice PR, John, really like the outside color and the middle slice shows a perfectly cooked roast. Fine Job, Sir. 

So you stacked the coals to one side and put one deflector plate over them?

Did you catch the drippings or let them fall into the bottom?

I guess I'm asking how you set up the Divide and Conquer System.

You wrote, "I prepare a very simple wet rub that consists of some olive oil, paprika, and some chopped dried herbs."

Please add some specificity for me.  What herbs?  Quantity?  Chopped to what degree?

Yeah, I'm not an inventive cook.

14 minutes ago, pmillen said:

You wrote, "I prepare a very simple wet rub that consists of some olive oil, paprika, and some chopped dried herbs."

Please add some specificity for me.  What herbs?  Quantity?  Chopped to what degree?

Yeah, I'm not an inventive cook.

I used about 2 tablespoons or so of paprika and about 1 tablespoon each of coarsely chopped rosemary and thyme.  3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil... 

28 minutes ago, pmillen said:

So you stacked the coals to one side and put one deflector plate over them?

Did you catch the drippings or let them fall into the bottom?

I guess I'm asking how you set up the Divide and Conquer System.

I set this up just like you would a boston butt... did not bank coals to one side or the other.. just put them in the middle and put the heat deflectors on the bottom level... cooked at 250f...

On 12/6/2018 at 2:51 PM, PropaneToLump said:

How big was the roast and what was the cooking time?  Have a 9lb boneless prime rib roast I plan to do for Christmas.  I've never done prime rib before and I'm wondering how long it will take.  Thanks for these instructions!  This looks like a pretty easy way to get good results.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:51 PM, PropaneToLump said:

How big was the roast and what was the cooking time?  Have a 9lb boneless prime rib roast I plan to do for Christmas.  I've never done prime rib before and I'm wondering how long it will take.  Thanks for these instructions!  This looks like a pretty easy way to get good results.

This one was about 6 pounds and it took about 3 hours at 250-ish.  A 9 pounder should finish in a similar time... maybe 30 minutes more but these things don't generally take much longer on larger sized roasts... the roasts that weigh more are typically longer and not significantly thicker.  

We have standing rib roasts at Christmas usually in the 18# weight range. Cook temp. is about

275 F and, according to my notes, takes about 2.5 - 3 hours. Like John posted, the diameter of the roasts

is about the same regardless of the length. Therefore the cook time is about the same for a 9# as for a 18#

roast at the same temp.

On 12/8/2018 at 11:07 AM, John Setzler said:

This one was about 6 pounds and it took about 3 hours at 250-ish.  A 9 pounder should finish in a similar time... maybe 30 minutes more but these things don't generally take much longer on larger sized roasts... the roasts that weigh more are typically longer and not significantly thicker.  

On 12/8/2018 at 12:17 PM, K_sqrd said:

We have standing rib roasts at Christmas usually in the 18# weight range. Cook temp. is about

275 F and, according to my notes, takes about 2.5 - 3 hours. Like John posted, the diameter of the roasts

is about the same regardless of the length. Therefore the cook time is about the same for a 9# as for a 18#

roast at the same temp.

Awesome!! Thanks!!!  Sounds like it won't be too hard to time out.  Can't wait to try this!

Looks amazing John! I picked up a 3lb boneless prime rib roast from Trader Joe’. Plan on cooking the same way tonight. Any guesses for how long it will take to cook at 250 indirect?

Several Q’ers will be doing Prime or Standing Rib Roasts for Christmas, including me. I ran across these articles on the

Thermoworks site and found them interesting and informative. I thought others may also find the info of use.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/beef/rib-roast/

https://blog.thermoworks.com/beef/science-of-perfect-prime-rib-roast/