20181205_PrimeRib1.jpg

20181205_PrimeRibHSR.jpg

I have learned a few things over the years about cooking Prime Rib.  I have watched a lot of prime rib roasts get damaged severely by over thinking, over working, and over cooking.  There are a lot of approaches to cooking these things and, after trying a lot of them, I have found myself reverting back to the simplest of plans.

Bone in or boneless?

Bone in can be sexy for presentation.  Boneless cooks more evenly.   I prefer boneless.

Seasoning?

I like to start out with a very basic Salt/Pepper/Garlic blend.  This Himalayan Sherpa blend from Atlanta Grill Company is absolutely PERFECT.  I season the meat liberally with that and then wrap it up in plastic and toss it back in the fridge for at least 12 hours and as many as 24 hours.  Consider it a dry brine.  When I take it out to cook it, I prepare a very simple wet rub that consists of some olive oil, paprika, and some chopped dried herbs.

Cooking?

250°F with a light wisp of a mild smoke (cherry works well) until you hit about 128°F in the thickest part of the roast.  NO SEAR.  BEFORE or AFTER.  The meat will develop a nice outer crust during the slow cook that won't be charred.  

Resting? 

When it's done cooking, let it rest unwrapped for 10 minutes or so and then wrap it in foil and let it rest another 30 minutes.

Slice.  Marvel at your magic.  Serve.  Enjoy.

Totally agree with your approach, John. I stopped searing my PR's about 3 years ago, and prefer to cook them indirect as well. No sear is really needed, IMO,  and edge to edge medium rare is more important to me. I pull mine at 125 pretty much the same as you.  I also use a garlic, sea salt based rub but throw in some crushed juniper berries and some fresh  Simon and Garfunkel  herbs over a brown mustard slather. ( no noticeable mustard taste, it just acts like a glue for the seasoning and helps form a thick crust) I think I'll try your wrapped dry marinade technique this year.  I still prefer bone-in but actually cut the bones off and tie them back on prior to the cook. (cut the strings after the cook and the slicing is easy) I don't really  think there is a noticeable bone-in flavor profile, I just have family that fight over the bones and call  them beef drumsticks, if there are no bones on the plater I get grief. I have done a PR every Christmas Eve or Day for as long as I can remember. Family won't tolerate any deviation from tradition. 

You going to use the PK on this cook? I have done a quite a few prime ribs on my PK in the past all turned out great.

I know its the cook not the cooker but for some reason the PK turns out the best short ribs I make. Lord knows I have enough smokers and grills laying around for comparison taste testing.

How big was the roast and what was the cooking time?  Have a 9lb boneless prime rib roast I plan to do for Christmas.  I've never done prime rib before and I'm wondering how long it will take.  Thanks for these instructions!  This looks like a pretty easy way to get good results.

Looks delicious John.  I may definitely have to try that since I've now found a reputable butcher here in the Rocket City. I'm swinging by there this weekend so I might pick one up.