Prime Rib

Can't help you on the time since I cook by temp. However, if you finish early

you can wrap the roast in foil and towels then put it in a cooler to hold till time

to carve. If running a bit late, pour another glass of wine or martini for your guests.

Works for us.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Sounds great, I'm going to attempt sous vide on this boneless prime rib for Christmas dinner.  Going to do a quick sear.  I seasoned with salt and pepper blend, essentially Montreal steak seasoning with some rosemary for a holiday touch.  All previous ones I have done played out similar to how you described above except I used a fresh herb butter compound on them.

We'll see!

20191216_202623.thumb.jpg.dcf44a3a10b26bd6b216b16a435e9f91.jpg20191216_204018.thumb.jpg.ab572db5cb682ab22c365cca9a8cbb03.jpg

PR is actually a pretty simple cook. The meat however is pricey so  when I did my first one, years ago, I was a bit nervous as well. The worst thing you can do is overcook it, it will still be good but probably not a good as you want. I cook mine indirect at 350 with a remote probe and pull at 120 IT and let it rest and come up about 128 IT. I slather mine with yellow mustard and then sprinkle the rub ontop of that for a nice crust. (no real mustard taste when cooked)

On 12/5/2018 at 7:34 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

I also use a garlic, sea salt based rub but throw in some crushed juniper berries and some fresh  Simon and Garfunkel  herbs over a brown mustard slather. ( no noticeable mustard taste, it just acts like a glue for the seasoning and helps form a thick crust) I think I'll try your wrapped dry marinade technique this year.  

What about this kind of mustard for the binder? I have been tempted but haven't tried it yet. 

15768511800028962408874145509469.jpg