UTVol

KJ Replacement Gasket: New or Old?

Assuming this is for a newly-acquired but older Classic 1 which has the felt gasket? 

In either case - Classic I or Classic II - the gaskets have a one-year warranty.  If yours was / is felt IMNSHO you'll likely get a felt gasket in return.

Open a ticket or give them a call and see what they say. 

On 12/7/2018 at 9:32 AM, John Setzler said:

Stick with the old gasket.  

Oh wow, fill me in on that.  I was going to spring for the new only out of pocket if I was out of warranty.

1 hour ago, J-Do said:

My guess is that the newer gasket requires the latch in order to keep the lid closed.

No. The latch is needed because the new air lift hinge removes about 90% of the dome weight. Retrofitted to older Joes, the gasket compresses ok. 

Just now, LargeRedJoe said:

No. The latch is needed because the new air lift hinge removes about 90% of the dome weight. Retrofitted to older Joes, the gasket compresses ok. 

My bad. The only experience I have with the Classic II is helping a buddy set his up. Thank you for clarifying @LargeRedJoe

I was sent a new style hinge, not the air hinge from the II series but a new hinge for the older grills, as a replacement. After fighting with it for 2 days I finally called KJ and was told I needed the new gasket, to go with the new hinge because the new hinge left too large a gap between halves for an old gasket. I am not sure you will have enough space between the halves for the new gasket with the old hinge.

10 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

I was sent a new style hinge, not the air hinge from the II series but a new hinge for the older grills, as a replacement. After fighting with it for 2 days I finally called KJ and was told I needed the new gasket, to go with the new hinge because the new hinge left too large a gap between halves for an old gasket. I am not sure you will have enough space between the halves for the new gasket with the old hinge.

I can adjust if that's the case, right?  Still curious why @John Setzler recommends sticking with the old gasket.

10 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

I have the new gaskets with the old hinge & they work just fine.  I also use the Joetisserie

Here’s the Catch 22

You have to shave off back pin on the lower band using a hack saw/file or Rockwell Sonic Crafter and file to take off the back pin where the hinge mount.  

Without the back pin, you can lower the band on the base 1/4 of a inch and close the gap on the new hinge. 

Shaving the back alignment pin on the band for the base also allows you to adjust the back hinge up/down by an extra 1/4 and inch either way.

If you’re not comfortable with shaving the back pin off the lower band, don't buy the new hinge or the new gasket.   You’ll have a hard time fitting either without that modification. 

16 hours ago, UTVol said:

Oh wow, fill me in on that.  I was going to spring for the new only out of pocket if I was out of warranty.

There are a lot of people who have trouble getting the lid to close properly on the older grills with the new gasket installed.

18 hours ago, J-Do said:

My guess is that the newer gasket requires the latch in order to keep the lid closed.

not on this end... closes just fine

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

There are a lot of people who have trouble getting the lid to close properly on the older grills with the new gasket installed.

interesting... my only observation is an increased level of moisture, if left outside in the elements. Fortunately, I have a very nice Amish built shed and no longer leave it outside

2 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

not on this end... closes just fine

interesting... my only observation is an increased level of moisture, if left outside in the elements. Fortunately, I have a very nice Amish built shed and no longer leave it outside

The only time you run into issues with the new gasket will be the Joetisserie flange insert.  Otherwise it works fine.