backpacker

How to generate smoke in a Kamado Joe

Hi everyone, 

I just got my 18" KJ last week and am trying to break it in - as well as my self.  So please bear with me if I ask some really stupid questions. I've got another smoker but wanted the charcoal and wood flavor which my electric didn't provide.  My most immediate problem is how to generate smoke for an entire 7-8 hour smoke? I am presently using chunks of wood and KJ lump charcoal.  

I have two critical cooks coming up and would like to incorporate some of your ideas of smoke generation.  These smokes are an already cooked ham - on Mon, Tue? and the turkey for Christmas day.  Any suggestions you would like to make will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Backpacker

Welcome to the site and congratulations on you new Kamado Joe!  I second the advice that you watch John Setzler's video, it's very informative.  My experience with Turkey is that only a little smoke is required to impart flavor. I use apple wood for foul and hard woods like, hickory and oak, for beef and pork.  

Best of luck with the new grill

11 hours ago, BobE said:

Thanks, guys.  I have watched John's video, taken notes and bookmarked it.  Intend to watch it several more times.  Also, have taken notes from you responders.  Intend to take more as they come up. 

Again, THANKS,

Backpacker

Thanks for the advice, retfr8flyr.  Does he have a list of his videos?  If so I'd like to bookmark it as I'm lookin' for any info I can get.  I went to www.kamadojoe.com but couldn't find a link to him.  Did find a link to a bunch of recipes but no John Setzler.

Backpacker

Edited by backpacker
added info

I just read a reply by John - not to my post but to someone else's and he answered my question.  If the chunks prevent seating the plate, chop them up til it fits.  Which brings up another question - is there a problem with getting the diffuser plate too close to the coal bed? If so, what is too close?

Thanks, folks,

Backpacker

On 12/9/2018 at 9:10 AM, BobE said:

Thanks, guys.  I have watched John's video, taken notes and bookmarked it.  Intend to watch it several more times.  Also, have taken notes from you responders.  Intend to take more as they come up. 

I will move over to the KJ section, and thanks GolfGriller for the link.

Again, THANKS,

Backpacker