keeperovdeflame

Big Boy in the Backyard

I have been hearing this guy grunt and blow for a couple of week but have never seen him until this morning. His does are constantly all over our property and even bed down under our trees in the afternoon.  Sorry for the pic quality, but He  is really wary and started moving as soon as I got out of bed and grabbed the camera. I had to shoot through the glass door and picked up the foreground and the ceramic quail bell on the auto focus. But even with poor picture quality, you can tell  he's a good quality 8 point. One of the joys of living in the mountains. When they get bigger like this they are mostly nocturnal and you rarely see them. They don't get big by being careless.

DSC_3552.thumb.jpg.c3854b03f5d7aaf5e3a6f41d2223a47f.jpg

nicccccccccccce. we have a couple we've only seen on the game camera as well. if you're lucky and he makes it through the winter, you should look for those sheds, theyre pretty impressive.

11 minutes ago, KJTerp said:

nicccccccccccce. we have a couple we've only seen on the game camera as well. if you're lucky and he makes it through the winter, you should look for those sheds, theyre pretty impressive.

yeah, I know. We have lived here 10 years and every year I walk the deer trail these guys use looking for sheds but have never found any. Guess I don't know where to look.

1 minute ago, keeperovdeflame said:

yeah, I know. We have lived here 10 years and every year I walk the deer trail these guys use looking for sheds but have never found any. Guess I don't know where to look.

It's hard, for sure. I've had sucess in areas where they bed down, and look particularly hard in spots where like, they have to duck under stuff, or places where they step down or up kind of hard, like a creekbed, or bottom of a hill. anywhere they have to jump an obstacle is a good place too. ive never found a complete set, but have been told that if you find one, chances are great the other is within 200 yards of it, because its rough walking around with an unbalanced load, so to speak. it's like beachcombing, you need to almost train your eye to pick out the shapes.

I will keep your tips in mind when I walk their trail this Spring. The guy in the picture has about 15 does so he is pretty popular and could get distracted, don't know if he will make it through the season. You can't hunt in the neighborhood but we are right next to the National Forest where hunting is legal a mile from the nearest house.  

There are so many deer in our neighborhood that folks treat em like pets. The deer on my property eat the bird seed the birds kick out of the feeders. I had to raise the feeders up to about 10 - 12 feet to get them away from the deer. A lady a couple of streets over feeds them apples every morning. Folks in the neighborhood have asked her not to but she says she can't help it. Biggest concern is that where there are deer there are predators. I saw a mountain lion in the back yard last year. 

2 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I saw a mountain lion in the back yard last year. 

Thats awesome, unless you leave your cat and dog outside, which you shouldnt do anyway

11 hours ago, KJTerp said:

Thats awesome, unless you leave your cat and dog outside, which you shouldnt do anyway

I don't have either but all the cats in the neighborhood pretty much  stay indoors. Dogs usually have runs with fenced sides and tops with access to the garage or house. We have a number of predators bob cats, bears, mountain lions Javalinas (not really a predator but the males can really tear up  dogs with their tusks we have had several incidents in the neighborhood). There are even sightings of Mexican grey wolves, although, I have never seen one. Reportedly they were released in New Mexico along the AZ boarder in a conservation project and migrated deeper into the state. I didn't really believe the wolves were here, but they did an article in the local paper about them so It sounds like a real deal.  

I'm having flashbacks!!

Last Wednesday my wife hit a deer on the way home from her company holiday party. Thankfully she was fine, but it tore the crap out of the front end of our CR-V. A cop happened on the scene and made sure she was OK. She told him in 40 years of driving in (mostly) rural areas, this was the first time she'd ever hit one. He told her living in our new town, this would probably not be the last. Sure enough, on Friday evening I hit one on my way home from work. I am perfectly fine, too, but it sure tore up the front end of my Element. (When the insurance paperwork from the second accident reached the body shop, the guy called my wife's number and said, "I think there's some kind of mistake. I just got another notification that you hit a deer." She said, "Hang on, let me turn you over to my husband...." )

53 minutes ago, Brick Pig said:

I'm having flashbacks!!

Last Wednesday my wife hit a deer on the way home from her company holiday party. Thankfully she was fine, but it tore the crap out of the front end of our CR-V. A cop happened on the scene and made sure she was OK. She told him in 40 years of driving in (mostly) rural areas, this was the first time she'd ever hit one. He told her living in our new town, this would probably not be the last. Sure enough, on Friday evening I hit one on my way home from work. I am perfectly fine, too, but it sure tore up the front end of my Element. (When the insurance paperwork from the second accident reached the body shop, the guy called my wife's number and said, "I think there's some kind of mistake. I just got another notification that you hit a deer." She said, "Hang on, let me turn you over to my husband...." )

It's that time of year. Glad you're both ok.

Glad your ok as well. Hitting a critter can create a lot of damage as well as injury. 

last year I was in a local body shop just getting some cosmetic repair done on the wife's CRV. In the shop was a heavy duty Ram Laramie 250 4x4 owned by an elderly couple who hit an elk just the night before out by Paulden about 15 miles north of Prescott. The collision crumpled and  tore both front fenders loose from the body, folded the hood up like news paper and ripped the top of the cab off leaving it hanging off the back two posts.  There were pieces of elk antler in the back seat of the crew cab. All the windows were shattered and the steering wheel was broken off at the top. Oh and the Diesel engine was knocked off the mounts and the shop guy thought the front Axel was broken or bent as the passenger side front wheel was tilted sideways. It looked like the elk came through the hood and the cab and then flew into the bed and then out the back.  Elk around here can easily weigh 1200 lbs or more. The couple other than a few minor cuts and bruises were reportedly  Ok according to a guy at the shop. Just amazing damage. I always drive really defensively this time of year, deer are really distracted and crazy during mating season.  

The topic is usually car hits deer or some animal.

Visualize this:

A deer flushed from some brush, next to the road, by a passing train,  in Erskine, MN,  ran into the left front of my wife's car. Damage was to the left front from the impact of the deer. The deer ran off. Her cousin (a deer hunter) searched and never found the animal. Must have been a brute. 

The commonality being any contact with a deer or whatever animal and a vehicle results in damage to the vehicle.

M.