KismetKamado

Pastrami and Ribs

We had rinsed and soaked a corned beef cut multiple times between Saturday and Sunday. Seasoned it up pastrami-ish style with a rub heavy in pepper. The husband wanted to do it on his pellet grill, but I talked him into letting me do it on the KK. Put it on and let it get some smoke (put on a bit of orange, cherry and pecan - no real rhyme or reason to that decision - seemed to turn out ok though).  

AF0A7CA5-8491-4B9E-B30D-DD0EE73FA468.thumb.jpeg.1eae8a9092836ba04956ef2d53f52ede.jpeg

I didn’t use a deflector on my Saturday smoke. Just a drip pan. With the distance between fire and food in the KK, it worked out fine except the fat scorching in the pan. Used a trick I learned here on the forum and foiled my drip pan with aluminum foil for this smoke and left an air gap between the foil pan and the foil I foiled it with.  Hopefully that makes sense.... in any case, that worked like a charm.  

8022A857-A2EF-41E6-B7EF-2C6A32A2B56A.thumb.jpeg.1a95e238ad552e08faa68822d442e639.jpeg

After a few hours put some ribs on as well. I simply seasoned a rack with an everyday type seasoning and let my husband have his way with the other two. Cut them in half thinking I might have space problems.  Was originally just going to do 2 racks, but then decided to just do them all so needed a little more flexibility with layout. 

98AFD88B-CCA8-4FED-BA07-3D822EA972DA.thumb.jpeg.81bc0782e647af2fb2e509070c5b1a7c.jpeg

Looking good after a few hours. 

C545C57E-7188-47B2-B5EC-5D2C20F53C04.thumb.jpeg.cf37fe1e3cc0d2e1cb43271ef9133a37.jpeg

2C00E980-8131-4FBF-9C31-96C5D4FAB1AD.thumb.jpeg.78c8bc7aa02ce35c757bf5b3a177159e.jpeg

Just before pulling the ribs. The husbands got a little glaze at the end. 

55EF19FB-59E6-4448-9B23-1620D46A1535.thumb.jpeg.5d71773da90613e9a7aa42a5d5d538f2.jpeg

And broke out the slicer to deal with the pastrami.  Should make for some good sandwiches. 

32B20172-AB4A-4E27-ABFC-6431597AE4CC.thumb.jpeg.00a603f20c5cff5f43480117af2d3860.jpeg

Everything turned out great - some of the best we’ve ever done.  I don’t really like to eat ribs, but I do like to cook them.   I usually am pretty indifferent about the results, but this time I did think they were unusually good as well. 

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:20 PM, KismetKamado said:

We had rinsed and soaked a corned beef cut multiple times between Saturday and Sunday. Seasoned it up pastrami-ish style with a rub heavy in pepper. The husband wanted to do it on his pellet grill, but I talked him into letting me do it on the KK. Put it on and let it get some smoke (put on a bit of orange, cherry and pecan - no real rhyme or reason to that decision - seemed to turn out ok though).  

I didn’t use a deflector on my Saturday smoke. Just a drip pan. With the distance between fire and food in the KK, it worked out fine except the fat scorching in the pan. Used a trick I learned here on the forum and foiled my drip pan with aluminum foil for this smoke and left an air gap between the foil pan and the foil I foiled it with.  Hopefully that makes sense.... in any case, that worked like a charm.  

After a few hours put some ribs on as well. I simply seasoned a rack with an everyday type seasoning and let my husband have his way with the other two. Cut them in half thinking I might have space problems.  Was originally just going to do 2 racks, but then decided to just do them all so needed a little more flexibility with layout. 

Looking good after a few hours. 

Just before pulling the ribs. The husbands got a little glaze at the end. 

And broke out the slicer to deal with the pastrami.  Should make for some good sandwiches. 

Everything turned out great - some of the best we’ve ever done.  I don’t really like to eat ribs, but I do like to cook them.   I usually am pretty indifferent about the results, but this time I did think they were unusually good as well. 

That all looked really good. I see how the foil on the drip pan would work out not scorching the fat drippings...pretty genius I think.  Send a few slices of that pastrami to N. Alabama!

Thanks everyone!  We really had some killer sandwiches last week from that pastrami.  And even though it’s a pain to clean, the slicer is definitely worth the trouble for thin slicing sandwich meat. We will be doing that again sometime soon I’m sure. 

Love the cook KK. It all looks fantastic. Pastrami is one of my favorite sandwiches.  Oh yes! Pastrami on rye with some spicy mustard.  Or with sauerkraut and mustard.................you got me in the mood for a pastrami sandwich now. I'm going to the deli.:P