John Setzler

Man Cave Ugly Drum Smoker Part 3

9 hours ago, pmillen said:

Give some thought to a cover.  The lids usually hold puddled water, then they start to rust.  Soon every paint nick rusts.  Consider painting it with high temperature automobile brake caliper porcelain enamel.  I think it's more durable.  

Fortunately, it will be sitting under an awning.

20190201_UDSPaint.jpg

I picked up some 2000°F primer today at Lowes.  After I strip the paint, I'll be putting on a couple coats of this.  This could possibly also be an unnecessary step but it's one I think is important.  Preventing future rust opportunities is worth the extra money to me.  I spent about $27 on primer....

20190201_UDSPort01.jpg

20190201_UDSPort02.jpg

I don't know exactly what this thing is or what it's used for, but it's what I have used on my previous two builds to give me a simple way to run temp probes into the drum. ... this was about $3.

I am up to $255 on the build now....

If all goes well, I'll cut/drill the holes I need in the drum early next week.  I will then strip the paint and apply the primer.  After the primer goes on I'll assemble the drum.  

I am going to put two cooking levels inside this drum.  The top cooking level will have 6" clearance from the top of the drum.  The second level will have 10" of clearance.  I am going to put a third rack level in the drum 14" deep to use as a drip pan / heat deflector rack.  I won't use that level very often since most of the cooking I do can be done on a single rack in this drum.  When I am cooking on a single rack, the secondary level below it will become the heat deflector / drip pan rack.  

I am considering NOT putting that third rack level in for the bottom level.  I am looking at an idea for a simple heat deflector I can use and set it directly on top of the charcoal basket.  

20190202_UDSParts.jpg

I got the rest of the parts and items I need to start assembling the Ugly Drum Smoker this morning...

Paint - $11
Paint Stripper - $13
Stainless Steel Hardware - $13

This brings the total spent so far to $292

I was hoping to stay under $300 on this build but a couple choices I made have bumped the cost a little. The ONLY items I have left to buy are a couple grill grates. I will most likely buy the Weber 22" grates to finish this project up...

Been watching drum smokers for a sale up here in Canada.  Canadian Tire has this one and goes on sale from time to time...next time it goes on sale I'm picking one up.  Went on sale for $279 over Christmas but I missed it!!

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pit-barrel-vertical-smoker-3992740p.html#srp

John...you're mixing a lot of different metal types.  Is galvanic corrosion a concern?

9 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

Been watching drum smokers for a sale up here in Canada.  Canadian Tire has this one and goes on sale from time to time...next time it goes on sale I'm picking one up.  Went on sale for $279 over Christmas but I missed it!!

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pit-barrel-vertical-smoker-3992740p.html#srp

I had A Pit Barrel Cooker for a few years.  I rather liked it but it ran a bit hot.  I finally put an air flow controller (stoker) on it to get the temperatures under control.  The high temperate didn't affect the food much but it the stoker makes it easier to judge completion times so the side orders are ready at the same time.  It's in the land fill now because I couldn't control the rust.

Before you buy a PBC consider the BarrelHouse Vertical Cooker.  It’s stainless steel under porcelain.  I think that'll eliminate the rust problem.

Edited by pmillen
Clarification

There are probably a few people on here that have PBCs.  They  may chime in on the rust issue.  It's probable that not all users have the rust that I had.  I didn't have a cover for it so it sat exposed to weather.  The top traps water, I nicked the paint in a few places...

I've owned a PBC for 5 years now and cook on it regularly.  It is the second generation enameled one, not the 1st generation powdercoated version.  It has no nicks in the surface.  The inside is well coated with cooking residue from top to bottom.  I cover the bottom with several layers of HD aluminum foil below the charcoal basket.  I keep it covered with the PBC cover which I purchased when I bought the grill. 

There is zero rust anywhere.

I started cutting/drilling holes in the drum today....

20190204_Build01.jpg

20190204_Build02.jpg

20190204_Build03.jpg

20190204_Build04.jpg

I am putting in the capability for two rack levels... one 6" deep and another 10" deep.  I am using a lower air intake vent from a Kamado Joe Big Joe because I intend to do some testing with the iKamand on this drum as well.  

I ran into a glitch on the lid preparation that I need to think about before moving on.. there are some ridges there and the top ridge on the drum that are keeping me from properly being able to mount my lid hinge flush.  I am going to have to figure out a spacer situation to make that fit before I drill holes....

The curvature on that Big Joe vent seems almost perfect. Nice

Again, great project. Sometimes it's not about how much it costs you or whether you could buy something for less. Sometimes it's the satisfaction of doing it yourself that matters.

35 minutes ago, T Yelta said:

The curvature on that Big Joe vent seems almost perfect. Nice

Again, great project. Sometimes it's not about how much it costs you or whether you could buy something for less. Sometimes it's the satisfaction of doing it yourself that matters.

Exactly.. and for someone like me who sucks at building stuff, it's even more rewarding.. lol.

4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Exactly.. and for someone like me who sucks at building stuff, it's even more rewarding.. lol.

It's going to turn out great=you don't suck building things.  I can't wait to see it in use.  I really enjoy building things and every time I see a thread like this is causes me to want to run out and start getting parts!