John Setzler

Man Cave Ugly Drum Smoker Part 3

I have built and given away two Ugly Drum Smokers.  I am ready to build  a serious one to keep.  I got started today because I scored a NEW UNLINED 55 gallon drum on Craigslist for $40.

20181212_Drum01.jpg

20181212_Drum02.jpg

20181212_Drum03.jpg

20181212_Drum04.jpg

I am going to make a video diary of this process this time....

I haven't had a chance to get started on this and I have been asked about it a lot lately... I ordered some of the pieces I need to get started today....

20190126_UDS-01.jpg

This charcoal basket will be perfect.  

20190126_UDS-02.jpg

this will be a 2" exhaust on the top of the drum....

20190126_UDS-03.jpg

This will be the lid handle....

20190126_UDS-04.jpg

This will be the lid hinge.  I have not built one with a hinged lid yet... I think I will like this one a lot better...

I'm really interested in this, John.  I've not built one, but I've had commercial drums and liked them.  I don’t have one now.  Marcia said that some things had to go ‘cause the deck and patio looked like the Clampetts’.

I’ll be especially interested in how you prevent exterior rust.  That was her major complaint about the drum.  I’ve been harboring thoughts of stainless-steel.

21 hours ago, pmillen said:

I'm really interested in this, John.  I've not built one, but I've had commercial drums and liked them.  I don’t have one now.  Marcia said that some things had to go ‘cause the deck and patio looked like the Clampetts’.

I’ll be especially interested in how you prevent exterior rust.  That was her major complaint about the drum.  I’ve been harboring thoughts of stainless-steel.

I am gonna strip the paint off this drum and put down a heavy coat of the 2000 degree primer then a high temp flat black on top of that.  That has worked well for me in the past.

Got a couple more parts today....

20190129_UDSVent.jpg

I got this lower intake vent directly from Kamado Joe.  I wanted to use this because I intend to test the iKamand on this drum and I needed to be sure the unit would fit.

20190129_UDSTemp.jpg

I grabbed this 4" thermometer today at Academy Sports...

At this point, I am $205 into this build.  It would be $225 if I had to pay for that lower vent, but I got it for free.

What's left to buy:

2 or 3 grill grates 

stainless steel nuts/bolts/washers

paint remover

primer

paint

some gasket material

Estimated cost left:  

$40 for grill grates

$20 for stainless steel nuts/bolts/washers

$15 for paint remover

$20 primer

$14 paint

$0 gasket material (I have some I am going to use)

$100

So I'm looking at about $325 roughly for a total cost of this project.  

4 hours ago, John Setzler said:

So I'm looking at about $325 roughly for a total cost of this project.  

Give some thought to a cover.  The lids usually hold puddled water, then they start to rust.  Soon every paint nick rusts.  Consider painting it with high temperature automobile brake caliper porcelain enamel.  I think it's more durable.