bosco

Traeger ribs

I was chatting with my good friend DivaQ the other day and was asking her for a few pro tips for ribs.  My local butcher had a great price on sides so I grabbed two racks and trimmed them St. Louis style.  

After trimming, I added my home rub and took them to the grill.  I must say that these were some of the prettiest ribs I have done.  They were clean bite off the bone not fall off, just the way I like them.  

Each cook, I learn something new... can’t way to try again

Sauced up

0B5C2446-4593-44BA-A8F8-D5D148E61629.thumb.jpeg.9868fbaae7f3cc3fc1b927be73c38945.jpeg

naked (my favourite way)

9C168D1D-CDC8-42F5-8218-69DBDDAD475A.thumb.jpeg.70fcfeb32f09f30e5280629cb532440b.jpeg

Clean bite off the bone...

DB7CE5F2-4057-4DE1-987E-29BB5C72D68C.thumb.jpeg.e7cf155d7dfcfb6b8c015cb588367c5a.jpeg

Looks great Bosco!

I like mine lightly sauced at the end to caramelize. My favorite is a sweet heat type of sauce and rub. I make my own too. I purchased a few rubs and nothing wowed me. Most ingredients look the same from rub to rub and are expensive for what you get. 

I don't like them fall off the bone either. Yours look perfectly cooked. I don't like them too dark either. Again yours are perfect. You have to pay attention near the end to not overdo it. I like to wrap mine like comp style and then finish naked. Start naked and finish naked. Timing is critical. 

So you left out the pro tips. Give up the goods! :-D

11 hours ago, landscaper said:

Looks great Bosco!

I like mine lightly sauced at the end to caramelize. My favorite is a sweet heat type of sauce and rub. I make my own too. I purchased a few rubs and nothing wowed me. Most ingredients look the same from rub to rub and are expensive for what you get. 

I don't like them fall off the bone either. Yours look perfectly cooked. I don't like them too dark either. Again yours are perfect. You have to pay attention near the end to not overdo it. I like to wrap mine like comp style and then finish naked. Start naked and finish naked. Timing is critical. 

So you left out the pro tips. Give up the goods! :-D

The recommendation was to super smoke them at 165° for 1-2 hours depending on how much smoke I wanted.  

Then 225° to cook

interesting she had me cook to temp not time on ribs.  So I went until 170° IT and then foiled with brown sugar and apple juice.  

I dont normally foil.  I did spritz each hour because I don’t like a dark hard bark.  

Once they were an IT 203° I removed from foil and back in the grill to sauce for about 30 min.  

Foil seems to give some moisture back to the meat and gives great bone pull back.  

Anyways that was my advice and it worked pretty good.  I may do a no foil vs foil analysis next 

16 minutes ago, landscaper said:

Brown sugar....apple juice and honey for the money baby. 

I have done the honey and the butter but I seem to like it a bit less sweet.   I really like basic ribs with no sauce.   

My one son agrees with me and the other thinks the sweeter the better lol