backpacker

Setting up the Divide and Conquer System

I've got to cook 4 1"+ pork chops in a few hours and I'm not sure how to set up the divide and conquer system. The recipe tells me to cook them with non-direct heat until they reach about 120* and then baste them and move them over to direct heat for 3 minutes or so.  What I'm wondering is in setting up the system.  Do I put on ½ diffuser plate in the bottom position and a grill grate over it in the upper position for the first cook.  And for the second cook have a grate in the upper position for the final direct heat cooking.  Or, should the diffuser plate be in the upper position with the grill grate directly over head.

Thanks for you help.

Backpacker

12 hours ago, Rob_grill_apprentice said:

Like this,   I had cast iron grate because I wanted sear marks. I posted a couple of examples. 

E295BF55-ABA9-401D-811A-5529702C6B20.jpeg

B178AA84-E403-4A13-9887-47A978C3148D.jpeg

Thanks a lot for the reply.  Sorry I'm so late answering but my company arrived and I was hustling to set up and then cook. Mine didn't turn out as nice as yours looked. I think (judging by your pics) my fire was not hot enough to cook indirectly.  Apparently you need a full set of coals like you've got?  I was trying to cook at 225* as my recipe called for.  Cook 'em at 225* until the meat temp is 125* and then sear them for about 3 minutes per side until they reach about 145-150 meat temp.  Again, thanks!!  Backpacker

(Since I'm a newbie to this site, I'm not sure where I should reply.  Sooooo, I tried both places.  I'm sure one of 'em will work.)

Thanks a lot for the reply.  Sorry I'm so late answering but my company arrived and I was hustling to set up and then cook. Mine didn't turn out as nice as yours looked. I think (judging by your pics) my fire was not hot enough to cook indirectly.  Apparently you need a full set of coals like you've got?  I was trying to cook at 225* as my recipe called for.  Cook 'em at 225* until the meat temp is 125* and then sear them for about 3 minutes per side until they reach about 145-150 meat temp.  Again, thanks!!  Backpacker

Thanks for the reply, Rob

So then I guess the concept is low and slow, put the Deflectors in the bottom position.  High temperature put them in the raised position?  The reasoning behind this I guess is that the raised position allows more heat to rise to the top, and the kamado is acting like an oven?

I'm having trouble with generating the right kind of smoke.  It seems that I'm either generating white smoke or none at all.  Part of the problem is that the wood is not in the path of the fire.  You know of a good video that'll help? I'm thinking of wrapping chunks in tinfoil with a few holes punched in it.  That way I could put more in than a person would normally and maybe some would be in the path of the fire.  Thoughts on that?

Thanks for your help

Backpacker

On 12/20/2018 at 5:40 AM, Never L8 4 chow said:

Here you go

Thanks, John, for the post of the video - MOST informative.  One of my problems with my first two smokes is that I saw little smoke and there was little smoke flavor in both the ham and the steak.  In my next cook ( the Christmas turkey!!!!) i'm going to split the chunks and wrap in foil.  That way I can place more of them, and hopefully they will be, or at least some of them will be, in the direction of the fire's spread.