Sign in to follow this  
just4fn

Primo XL400 vrs Pellet grill

I am going to cook two 10 pound prime ribs on Christmas.  The problem is, is that the Primo won't hold both.  I am going to put one on the Primo and one on the Traeger.  This will be the perfect comparison between the 2 type of grills..  They are both going to be seasoned and cooked to the same temp. I will give you my review when done. 

Can I get an invitation for dinner? Sounds like a great meal coming. I think you will find the Primo one will have a different, heavier charcoal kind of flavor and the Traeger will be a lighter, cleaner, more woodsy flavor. It will be interesting on which your guests prefer. For the best flavor on the Traeger, I don't know the capabilities of your modified 070, I would recommend starting the cook on low temp extra smoke setting for 2 hrs and then increasing to high temp to finish it off with a nice crust. I know this isn't equal cooking methods but it will produce the best flavor from your rib roast. 

6 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

Can I get an invitation for dinner? Sounds like a great meal coming. I think you will find the Primo one will have a different, heavier charcoal kind of flavor and the Traeger will be a lighter, cleaner, more woodsy flavor. It will be interesting on which your guests prefer. For the best flavor on the Traeger, I don't know the capabilities of your modified 070, I would recommend starting the cook on low temp extra smoke setting for 2 hrs and then increasing to high temp to finish it off with a nice crust. I know this isn't equal cooking methods but it will produce the best flavor from your rib roast. 

I have a cold smoker attached to the traeger for extra smoke.. I am also going to sear it on the Kamado when it's done. Going to feed 20+ people.  Slow cook at 225 to internal temp of 128,  raising temp on Primo to 500 and searing all sides at 1 minute a side until desired look. The same holds true for the one on the Traeger. 

19 hours ago, just4fn said:

This will be the perfect comparison between the 2 type of grills.

I have been doing a bit of the same-comparing pellet vs. ceramic. Fortunately I can own both. 

My intent is not to expand into a "which one is better" topic. I know now both are great.  I believe they both will be excellent tools in my arsenal.

I did ribs in both a while back too.

Please do give us your findings on....... everything.

My stuff so far-mostly concerns idiosyncrasy type stuff:

I like the pellet grill for quickness. Quick to temp. Excellent for grilling a cook that you needed 10 minutes ago.

Taste. Charcoal vs. the type of pellet used. 'Nuff said

Moisture retention-higher pellet grill temps-I have found to prefer a tray of water inside.

Heat retention- might be my technique but I try not to open the lid on the pellet too much. It does recover temp. quickly.

Advice I have been given and it holds true, is to keep the igniter pot cleaned out. I have not pushed and ball parked just how many cooks and at what temp generates the igniter pot loading up enough to dorf things up. Camp Chef pellet heads have that nice clean out feature on theirs.:)

I use a welders blanket over the top of mine when the temps get below 30F. -guessing that helps with pellet consumption.

The smoke can stain the stainless steel (what a play on words): it did mine. Probably my bad somehow.  I have some solid info on cleaning mine up from a friendly Guru and RT cus. svc.

Cheers.  M.

Ok,  I have to confess.  I did not have enough room in my stomach to try the prime rib off of the Traeger.   Both roasts were cooked at 250.  The Primo took 3 hours and the Traeger took 4 hours.  The roast on the Primo cooked different in that one end was done at 128 and the other was still at 113.  I tried to turn it at 100 degrees and even put on foil.  I pulled it at 138 on one end and 120 on the other.  I seared it and it was very good and moist.  The one on the Traeger was pulled at 128 degrees and was perfect.  I got a lot of compliments that keeps me going.  Here are the pictures:

CIMG0832.JPG.bb1295cebc85f593a8d3f5aa84b03f82.JPG

CIMG0837.JPG.d9cffdd6d69234a64c04f57f6258f521.JPG

CIMG0841.JPG.cb7590a1c5d29aa76f3d0b5410df5d92.JPG

CIMG0840.JPG.c67befa65c54c6199a83a7ace98c2c25.JPG

CIMG0842.JPG.4d8b9426635e7856f5f06bbc8b62115a.JPG

CIMG0843.JPG.18754fefacf3538c699072f4491814df.JPG

The next Picture is the roast off the Traeger:

CIMG0846.JPG.6dd147ed6b714d806a027f5ffee8b6ca.JPG

It was a very successful meal.  

13 hours ago, just4fn said:

The roast on the Primo cooked different in that one end was done at 128 and the other was still at 113.  I tried to turn it at 100 degrees and even put on foil.  I pulled it at 138 on one end and 120 on the other. 

I've had a similar issue when doing a PR on the Kamado except in my case the center of the roast was about

15 - 20 degrees cooler than the ends. Since it was a whole, boneless roast at about 18#, the ends of the roast

were close to the wall of the Kamado which, I think, contributed to faster cooking of the ends. In your case it

might have been that one end was a bit smaller than the other and cooked faster - don't know.

Great looking roasts - nicely done!

2 hours ago, K_sqrd said:

I've had a similar issue when doing a PR on the Kamado except in my case the center of the roast was about

15 - 20 degrees cooler than the ends. Since it was a whole, boneless roast at about 18#, the ends of the roast

were close to the wall of the Kamado which, I think, contributed to faster cooking of the ends. In your case it

might have been that one end was a bit smaller than the other and cooked faster - don't know.

Great looking roasts - nicely done!

My guess is the burn went to the left.  I will need to look.   If it did,  maybe I can light both sides for an even burn. I just don't know if will be able to stay at 225.