I picked this tip up years ago and my family loves it. I cook a Christmas PR every year like this.

250 indirect over a stone wrapped in foil. and do not sear it prior to or at the end of the cook, I pull it when a center middle probe reads 125 deg.  I use a rub made of minced garlic, coarse sea salt, cracked pepper, Spanish smoked paprika and crushed Juniper berry. I slather the PR with plain French's yellow mustard prior to a  liberal sprinkling of my rub. The mustard holds the rub in place and helps form a nice thick savory  crust. (Once the PR is cooked I can not detect a mustard flavor, just savory beef). Turns out great and most importantly my family loves it, actually to the point where they won't let me cook anything else on Christmas. 

I buy a whole Prime Rib and cut it into a 4 or 5 bone roast. Cutting the rest into thick steaks to use during the new year. I like both boneless and bone in and get what ever I can find available each year. If I manage to get lucky and find a bone in, I cut them off when trimming the roast and then tie them back on prior to the cook. I place the bone up so the fat and connective tissue when it renders drips over the PR. After the cook, just snip the strings and slice away. Best of both worlds. 

DSC_3305.thumb.jpg.58e34bedc9a65239eb40440ba08f6ea3.jpg

This is my minced garlic, coarse sea salt, cracked pepper, Spanish smoked paprika, Juniper berry rub

DSC_3306.thumb.jpg.d1345e97bddc1b3d7515ffbfcadc18eb.jpg

Once the roast is slathered with yellow muster I sprinkle on the rub

DSC_3307.thumb.jpg.7b11b9685edaed11564a62fdaae1e62a.jpg

This is what it looks like just before I pull it . By the way the aluminum foil ball holds a whole head of garlic slathered in olive oil, herbs and spices to use as an edible garnish.

DSC_3313.thumb.jpg.4cc4ff9e8a02ac09adb77ce7f31276b4.jpg

You can see in this pic that the mustard turns out a pretty nice crust. Happy Cooking, friends. 

That looks and sounds fantastic. Fresh Market has rib roasts on sale and I was planning on doing one for Christmas. Will follow your lead. The only difference is I'll put it on the KK rotisserie with my bottom heat diffuser. This will also let me use my Meater Probe for the reason I bought it and waited 3 years for it. I'll let you know how it turns out. 

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

That looks and sounds fantastic. Fresh Market has rib roasts on sale and I was planning on doing one for Christmas. Will follow your lead. The only difference is I'll put it on the KK rotisserie with my bottom heat diffuser. This will also let me use my Meater Probe for the reason I bought it and waited 3 years for it. I'll let you know how it turns out. 

"Love it when a plan comes together" not familiar with your Meater Probe, I am thinking it is cordless and can be used in meat turning on a rotisserie, is that the deal?

19 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

"Love it when a plan comes together" not familiar with your Meater Probe, I am thinking it is cordless and can be used in meat turning on a rotisserie, is that the deal?

Yes cordless for use with the rotisserie. I bought into a kickstarter and about 3 years past their target release date mine finally arrived a couple of months ago. It works reasonably well.