John Setzler

My GO-TO for Brisket Technique

@Mark_from_Quebec

This is my go-to technique for brisket:

I don't use this ingredient set as shown here anymore but I use this technique religiously when cooking brisket at home.  

As for sauces, I have not spent a lot of time publishing sauce recipes.  There are only about two sauce recipes that I have devised on my own and published. They are here:

I have worked up several tomato based sauces that are pretty good but I have never made videos for any of those at this point.  Maybe I will work on that in the near future.  

Thanks John!

just curious but which are your favourite ingredients to use as you mentioned you don’t use this ingredient base.

i had found your other brisket recipe that had you using a similar technique but you were using green peppers and onions on top, along with a bbq sauce.

Do you prefer this method of cooking it in a sauce compared to cooking it without a sauce and then making a sauce on the side?

cooking it in a sauce is certainly the way my mom always did it in the oven, and she used the Cooks Illustrated technique as well.

Woukd you prepare brisket the same way if it were sandwiches vs a holiday meal with potatoes on the side? I’m thinking holidays I would always get that saucy brisket and went great for a holiday meal with potatoes, but not sure I envisioned that same type for sandwiches.

@Mark_from_Quebec

I prefer this method no matter what I'm doing with it.  I never prepare brisket exclusively for sandwiches.  I chop my leftover brisket much like you might with pulled pork.  I can serve that on a sandwich or however I might like it.  

As for ingredients, it's a tossup most time.  I always line the pan with onions.  Whatever liquid goes in the pan is just whatever I am in the mood for at the time.  I typically use a little bit of 50/50 mix of apple juice and vinegar with some worcestershire as well.  I might top it with some bbq sauce... or some special mixture of sauces.  I don't have a set in stone way I do it.  I like to use some of the pan liquid sometimes to make a pan gravy to serve over the brisket.  

1 hour ago, Mark_from_Quebec said:

John,in the 2nd phase of the cook you removed the brisket after it had been on for 3 hours @ 325  and you mentioned it felt tender enough, but just curious what internal temperature you were around at that time, just so I have an indication of the area I should be in.

Young padawan... you must let go of the temperature readings and cook with the force :)  You don't even need a meat thermometer for this cook :)

My father does a similar method just sans the initial smoke (and in the oven), his brisket is not too shabby when paired with some mashed potatoes and green veggies in the winter, or a bright coleslaw and corn on the cob in the summer

Hello All-

I am smoking a brisket using this method today and I will be using the Kamado Joe 2014 video recipe for the sauce (Kamado Joe-Atlanta Brisket circa 2014 ). I will post some pictures later. I was searching for an alternate method of brisket cooking because there are no stores nearby that carry butcher paper! I had to purchase it online and it did not arrive yet. My son, home on leave from the Air Force until Monday, wants a brisket. I think he will love this recipe. 

Allison

2 minutes ago, dufchick said:

Hello All-

I am smoking a brisket using this method today and I will be using the Kamado Joe 2014 video recipe for the sauce (Kamado Joe-Atlanta Brisket circa 2014 ). I will post some pictures later. I was searching for an alternate method of brisket cooking because there are no stores nearby that carry butcher paper! I had to purchase it online and it did not arrive yet. My son, home on leave from the Air Force until Monday, wants a brisket. I think he will love this recipe. 

Allison

Don't sweat the butcher paper hype.  I have tried butcher paper vs foil on multiple occasions and the difference is negligible if noticeable at all.  That small detail should never stop a brisket cook :)