Nnank76

Mid week ribs

So I picked up some beef shorties from my local butcher. Was there buying some pork belly to smoke up some bacon for xmas and saw these. Thought what the heck. Brined them over night with salt. Rub of pepper, cumin, onion and garlic powder. Popped on around 9ish @250ish. Wrapped aroubd 170f to speed up the cook. Normally I wouldnt. 

Read 203 at 4.30pm. Just in time to pull them off and put them in the cooler for a rest. 

Served with a coriander and lime coleslaw. 

Juicy beefy goodness :-)

20181219_180802.jpg

20181219_180656.jpg

20181219_181051.jpg

20181219_083458.jpg

20181219_084916.jpg

2 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Ribs look great - but I’ve got my eye on the coleslaw!  

Thanks KK. Very easy.  Red cabbage,  spring onions,  capsicum,  carrot and coriander.  Sauce -1/4 cup sour cream (i used Greek yogurt as i had no cream), teaspoon of dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon of sugar, juice and zest of 1 lime.  Season to taste. 

1 hour ago, Nnank76 said:

Thanks KK. Very easy.  Red cabbage,  spring onions,  capsicum,  carrot and coriander.  Sauce -1/4 cup sour cream (i used Greek yogurt as i had no cream), teaspoon of dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon of sugar, juice and zest of 1 lime.  Season to taste. 

Thanks for posting the recipe!  That sounds fantastic!  I’ll have to give it a try. :)

37 minutes ago, scarfmace said:

In the second pic, is that all the meat that was left? that is the biggest shrinkage I've ever seen! Must have been sooo smokey (drool)

Yep. I was surprised at how much shrinkage there was. One of the bones was so close to falling off. Took nothing to get  them out. I almost cut them down the bone before cooking. Reckon the meat would have fallen off for sure the . 

On 12/19/2018 at 9:14 PM, KismetKamado said:

Ribs look great - but I’ve got my eye on the coleslaw!  

coleslaw? what coleslaw? All I see is rib! :-D

On 12/20/2018 at 4:34 AM, Nnank76 said:

Yep. I was surprised at how much shrinkage there was. One of the bones was so close to falling off. Took nothing to get  them out. I almost cut them down the bone before cooking. Reckon the meat would have fallen off for sure the . 

normal for that third bone to seem almost useless after the cook. Also, I've noticed there isn't as much shrinkage as I assume. Though the width of the meat shrinks significantly, the height likewise increases- puffing up like a flexing bicep. I have also made a mental note to pull my cook just a bit sooner so that it is a hair shy of fall off the bone. Either way, this is my favorite meat and cook. As a brisket cook, I am so ashamed to admit that.