Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

Pan Seared Filets

220181220_Steaks05.jpg

I had a chateaubriand in my freezer that was exactly 5" long so i cut it in half to get two nice thick filets...

220181220_Steaks06.jpg

I seasoned them with a salt/pepper/garlic blend and wrapped them back up and put them in the fridge while I got the grill ready.  When the grill got hot I put my pan on and let it warm up.  Then I melted some ghee in the pan...

220181220_Steaks01.jpg

I seared these steaks for a few minutes on each side until I was happy with what the crust looked like.  I moved them to indirect heat to finish....

220181220_Steaks03.jpg

I went slightly past medium rare on these but they were awesome!

Wow, John, those look amazing, very nice piece of beef to begin with and excellent cooking application to top it off.  That pan, from what it can produce,, looks to be well worth the money. I remember when I saw those at a high end cooking store in Portland Oregon and did a post on them. Just a truly beautiful cook, Sir, great job. 

1 hour ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Wow, John, those look amazing, very nice piece of beef to begin with and excellent cooking application to top it off.  That pan, from what it can produce,, looks to be well worth the money. I remember when I saw those at a high end cooking store in Portland Oregon and did a post on them. Just a truly beautiful cook, Sir, great job. 

Finex is made in Portland...

17 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I took them out of the pan after the searing was done.  I didn't look at the pit temp because the dome thermometer is pretty useless in this cooking setup.

So is the indirect side a CI half moon?  From the photo that is what it looks like and I was afraid the steaks would continue to sear overcooking the edge.  I generally have been doing reverse sear, but I want to be able to do faster steaks when needed and have them come out that good.

2 hours ago, Team PCBeach said:

So is the indirect side a CI half moon?  From the photo that is what it looks like and I was afraid the steaks would continue to sear overcooking the edge.  I generally have been doing reverse sear, but I want to be able to do faster steaks when needed and have them come out that good.

No.  It's just a heat deflector.  The heat deflector was in the low position with a grill grate in the position above it.   I didn't include a photo here of the indirect portion of the cook.  That is inlcuded in the video.

22 hours ago, John Setzler said:

No.  It's just a heat deflector.  The heat deflector was in the low position with a grill grate in the position above it.   I didn't include a photo here of the indirect portion of the cook.  That is inlcuded in the video.

Ahh, make sense now. Thanks John