Sign in to follow this  
bel4_20

Getting closer to a decision on the Timberline series

I'm sure this can be easily answered by you guys on this forum ( looking at you @bosco lol). The main difference between the 850 and the 1300 is the size only, is that correct?. Does the 1300 have a more heavy duty motor a bigger auger or more robust? or are we talking size only? 

The Timberlines seem real nice and I read a lot of positive posts about them. I imagine there probably are accessories included in the price, depending on the seller.

I had a few extra$ and went for a $600 USD price point-to not spend  much so I could experience/try a pellet grill. 

pelletfan.com has many posts on the various manufacturers. Used that as an info gathering tool.

I found one with WiFi and 2 temp probes: it has been great so far. I don't have the numbers handy but it probably is slightly smaller than an 850. I did spend $600USD.

Still think of the pellet grill as a part of my arsenal of cooking options. I am partial to the KJ.

M.

35 minutes ago, bosco said:

I have both so use the 850 most often but for the price point, the 1300 is the better purchase at 300.00 more. 

Agree.  if i could only have one it would be the 1300 without a doubt.  Glad u talked me into it and i'm pretty sure that Earl is as well.

2 hours ago, bosco said:

Exactly the case.  Obviously the 1300 has a longer auger and shaft.  Other than that everything is the same.  

I have both so use the 850 most often but for the price point, the 1300 is the better purchase at 300.00 more. 

$500 more as I checked Dicksons website this morning.Unless i missed something?

1 hour ago, freddyjbbq said:

Agree.  if i could only have one it would be the 1300 without a doubt.  Glad u talked me into it and i'm pretty sure that Earl is as well.

I was thinking about getting the 1300 instead of the 850 as well however I still have my big joe, and @bosco did say he uses the 850 more.

1 hour ago, mike echo said:

The Timberlines seem real nice and I read a lot of positive posts about them. I imagine there probably are accessories included in the price, depending on the seller.

I had a few extra$ and went for a $600 USD price point-to not spend  much so I could experience/try a pellet grill. 

pelletfan.com has many posts on the various manufacturers. Used that as an info gathering tool.

I found one with WiFi and it has been great so far. I don't have the numbers handy but it probably is close to an 850. I did spend $600USD.

Still think of the pellet grill as a part of my arsenal of cooking options. I am partial to the KJ.

M.

I would have probably done the same however I like the double walled insulated construction of the Timberline as I live in Canada and enjoy smoking meats in the winter.

I am very glad Bosco talked me into getting the 1300 over the 850. This thing is a pellet miser and I don't really think there would be much difference in pellet usage between them. I love all the room in this grill, you can place things where you want them and not worry about crowding. Everything I have done on this grill has turned out great. I will be doing a pork loin tomorrow night and Turkey for Christmas dinner, I am really looking forward to see how they turn out.

I don't have the 1300 but my thoughts on that are the exact same as my thoughts on the XL kamados vs the 18" models.  I would only buy the larger one if i needed it at least 50% of the time.  That's just me though and I know the go big or go home philosophy seems to dominate these discussions.

To me, it's like buying a Ford F-350 just in case I need to tow a heavy trailer or haul a load of gravel.  Most day's I will just be running to the grocery store and back :)  

My Big Joe collects dust for the most part.  I have fired it up about twice in the last six months.  I'd rather cook on the classic.  Hopefully before too much longer I'll have a second classic and my Big Joe will be obsolete.

1 hour ago, bel4_20 said:

I would have probably done the same however I like the double walled insulated construction of the Timberline as I live in Canada and enjoy smoking meats in the winter.

Double wall is good.  As I surmised, Traeger  is a good unit. Not sure if the entire grill is double walled or just the lid. I have read in various places that some owners either buy an manufacturer specific insulating blanket (encompasses the whole unit) or use a welder's blanket on their smokers/grills . Especially in historic colder areas.

I do not have the double wall feature but use a welders blanket for the cold days below the Mason Dixon Line.:good:

Theory is, that it saves on pellets especially during a long cook. 

M.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

I don't have the 1300 but my thoughts on that are the exact same as my thoughts on the XL kamados vs the 18" models.  I would only buy the larger one if i needed it at least 50% of the time.  That's just me though and I know the go big or go home philosophy seems to dominate these discussions.

To me, it's like buying a Ford F-350 just in case I need to tow a heavy trailer or haul a load of gravel.  Most day's I will just be running to the grocery store and back :)  

My Big Joe collects dust for the most part.  I have fired it up about twice in the last six months.  I'd rather cook on the classic.  Hopefully before too much longer I'll have a second classic and my Big Joe will be obsolete.

That is a good point John and to be honest unless im using the joetisserie or a big brisket, I tend to navigate to the Broil king Keg.

2 hours ago, bel4_20 said:

I was thinking about getting the 1300 instead of the 850 as well however I still have my big joe, and @bosco did say he uses the 850 more.

That he does.  Here is a photo of a 27# turkey from last weekend to give you an idea of capacity in 850.

no matter what you choose, I’m sure you’ll love it. 

18C567FF-E98E-475B-BD03-B7597F128EE7.jpeg

6942F1EA-4B7D-461B-9871-BB18FE170C57.jpeg

2 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

I am very glad Bosco talked me into getting the 1300 over the 850. This thing is a pellet miser and I don't really think there would be much difference in pellet usage between them. I love all the room in this grill, you can place things where you want them and not worry about crowding. Everything I have done on this grill has turned out great. I will be doing a pork loin tomorrow night and Turkey for Christmas dinner, I am really looking forward to see how they turn out.

I will be looking forward to photos of these cooks, they sound superb!

cant wait until you tackle a full brisket, 

E0D9B9B7-DDE9-422E-B2A5-D61FD0FA5904.jpeg