Sign in to follow this  
bel4_20

Getting closer to a decision on the Timberline series

5 hours ago, Sodaking27 said:

Giving serious thoughts to trying the Timberline 850 again. Seems like they have finally got the bugs worked out.

I suspected that you would regret selling that bad boy....

hope you csn find one again and give it a go!!

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I don't have the 1300 but my thoughts on that are the exact same as my thoughts on the XL kamados vs the 18" models.  I would only buy the larger one if i needed it at least 50% of the time.  That's just me though and I know the go big or go home philosophy seems to dominate these discussions.

To me, it's like buying a Ford F-350 just in case I need to tow a heavy trailer or haul a load of gravel.  Most day's I will just be running to the grocery store and back :)  

My Big Joe collects dust for the most part.  I have fired it up about twice in the last six months.  I'd rather cook on the classic.  Hopefully before too much longer I'll have a second classic and my Big Joe will be obsolete.

I agree with you in everything you are saying.  The only thing is that the price point for the upgrade is so small that to me it’s worth it....

3 hours ago, mike echo said:

Not sure if the entire grill is double walled or just the lid. 

The whole grill including lid

3 hours ago, mike echo said:

Theory is, that it saves on pellets especially during a long cook. 

M.

I’d call it more a proven reality than a theory.  Anything insulated is more energy/fuel efficient: your grill, home, body, etc 

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

Also, for what it's worth, if you are buying a grill in this realm, a dollar or two here or there for pellet consumption probably isn't gonna change things :)

I agree with that.  Further, I haven’t yet noticed much difference between the 2 timberline models and there are plenty of good “stock up deals” floating around.

@jrow just scored the 33# bags of gourmet blend for $20 @ local costco

Just as an update I pulled the trigger on the Timberline 850! Im very happy with my decision, Now comes the grooling part waiting for its arrival! I'd like to thank you guys for all the help. Looking forward to this new smoker and starting the learning!

5 hours ago, bel4_20 said:

Just as an update I pulled the trigger on the Timberline 850! Im very happy with my decision, Now comes the grooling part waiting for its arrival! I'd like to thank you guys for all the help. Looking forward to this new smoker and starting the learning!

You are gonna love it :)  I love mine and @bosco sleeps with his.  

11 hours ago, bel4_20 said:

Congratsssssssssss!