R5Ryder

Brisket cooking way too fast?

Grill = Akorn.  Temp control by TipTopTemp.  No leaks.  Probes = Thermoworks Smoke and Thermopen MK4.  I've confirmed that the probes are accurate, and there was no obstructions on the pit probe.

Put on a 16lb Packer (probably a few pounds less after trimming) at midnight.  According to the Smoke's graphs, the pit temp held between 215-235 all night.

The brisket hit the stall after only 3 hours of cooking, so IT of 160 by 3AM.  When I woke up to make some pit adjustments (it jumped to around 250 at 6AM, probably when the sun came up and the TTT compensated for change in ambient temp) the  meat was already at around 180, so I'm wrapping in butcher paper, however it's going to be finished  - including resting - in under 12 hours, which just doesn't seem right.

Had I wrapped when the stall hit, that would have been at 3AM, and maybe it would have been done around 8.  How is that even possible for a 16lb packer?  Everything was timed so that it would be done (including rest) in around 16 hours, though obviously every piece of meat is different.  I would not have expected a piece to be THIS different though.

4h8vir.png

Man this is weird.  I took it off to wrap it.  Admittedly, it was off the grill for longer than it usually would have been since I was also monkeying around with the smoker temp to try and bring it back down to 230ish.  While i was doing that, I had it resting (wrapped) in the oven at 170.  

The IT dropped to 147.  At first I thought I was sticking the probe into the paper incorrectly, so I unwrapped and used my thermopen, and same reading.  

So I'm unwrapping, putting back on the smoker (it's at around 270, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do at this point to bring it back down short of starting over, and LOL to that.)  I figure it's already "cooked" to 175, and I'm basically reheating it to there before it'll cook more.  

Going to wrap (foil this time - nuts to butcher paper... too wet and messy) around 170 and let it roll from there.

1) Is it normal for IT to drop that much if it's out of the cooker for a little while?  Again, it was in the oven while out of cooker.

2) Is rolling for the first roughly 7 hours at 225, then having a... "delay", then finishing around 270 the worst thing in the world?  Second worst?  Or no big deal?

3) I still do not understand how I got to the stall so fast - any ideas?

4) I'm now thinking that I overreacted a bit to the IT reading, and that since it was at the stall with roughly 25 degrees to go, it still would have probably taken within a couple of hours of my expected time.   

5) Is it highly recommended to wrap employ the "crutch" at the stall?  Or is that just to help it along if you can't wait it out, meaning literally a "crutch"?  I think that maybe if I didn't worry about wrapping, I could have just rolled with it after re-stabilizing my temps.

I recently scored 18# Prime brisket at Costco for a good price. After trimming some of the fat off the

final weight was probably 15#'s. I Q'ed it on an off set smoker burning Pecan wood. I expected it to

take at least 15 hours at 250 deg. F. if not longer. After a few hours, the brisket temp was moving

right through the 150's and 160's and hitting 170. At that point I put it in pan, covered it with

aluminum foil and added a little apple juice. It continued to cook and hit 204 deg. at the 10 hour mark.

It was like probing soft butter and thoroughly done. 10 hours! Go figure. It was the best brisket that

we ever had and I've done quite a few over the years. Previous brisket cooks took a lot longer.

As for your questions...

1) You put the brisket in an oven that was almost 100 deg. lower than that of the Joe, I'd expect to see

some drop. It also depends on how long you had it off the Joe and in the oven. You could have wrapped it in

foil and put it back on the Joe till it was done regardless of the Joe's temp. You can always wrap the meat

in foil, then wrap in towels and place in a cooler to hold and rest. The meat will stay hot for quite a few hours

till time to serve.

2) I'd say no big deal.

3) See my commentary above - Don't know. Seems like each cook is different.

4) Probably so. Kamados tend to retain moisture so you may not have had to wrap at all.  There are no hard and

fast rules for foiling. It's usually done at around the stall temp which is a bit of moving target.

5) Wrapping with foil helps to capture moisture, preventing the meat from drying out. It also helps to

cook the meat a bit faster -  Think "Braising". Using foil, paper or nothing is your call, whatever works best for you.

I've Q'ed meat to the stall point on my offset to get the smoke profile I like then wrapped and put it on

a Kamado at a higher temp to finish the cook in a shorter time. Works just fine. I've also done them with out

wrapping and going the long haul and they turned out fine too.

As for chasing temps on your cooker - Keep in mind that just about all the meats that you cook on it can be

done over a wide temperature range. A butt or brisket can be done from 225 to over 300 deg. with little to no

difference in taste. So if your Joe temp drifts over time, it's no big deal. In my cook described above, the pit temp

varied +/- 25 deg. as new wood was added and burned down.

Just some of my thoughts. Hope your brisket turned out great.

First, I am convinced that– all things being equal– briskets cook faster in Kamados compared to other smokers. Second, I never plan for long cooks. I give myself a ten to twelve hour window for the cook- depending on how much time I want to invest–  and I have exceeded that probably only once, even with cooking much larger briskets. At about the 7 or 8 hour mark, I pretty much know if I am going to finish earlier or later and have the flexibility to either speed up the cook or slow it down.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By burnt_ends
      Hi, I followed the steps in this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qm-nm4Z7wA&t=15s
      and I my brisket turned out dry and dense. I'm hoping you can tell me where I went wrong:
      - ~5.5 lbs (pre-trimmed) of Prime Angus grain fed brisket point from https://shalhoob.com/butcher-shop - trimmed as much of the silver skin off as I could - trimmed off hard fat and tried to leave 1/8" to 1/4" of fat - seasoned 24 hours prior to cook with 50/50 coarse black pepper and kosher salt - used Kamado Joe lump charcoal and two medium chucks of mesquite hardwood - ambient outside temperature was low-mid 80s - waited until grill came up to temp and smoke was mostly clear before putting meat on - put meat on fat side down - cooked in Classic III using sloroller, on the lower level rack - cooked with water pan on grill - used Thermopro two probe digital thermometer (1 probe at grill level, 1 probe in thickest part of brisket) - grill temp ranged between 245-270, but mostly 250-260 - took ~6.5 hrs to get to 170 internal temp - wrapped in foil at 172 - took ~1.5 hrs to get to 203  - at ~203 a wood shish kabob skewer did go through meat, but still felt a little resistance. At this point I pulled it b/c I was concerned about over cooking - kept in foil, wrapped in towel, put in cooler for 1.5 hrs
      The brisket had bark and a smoke ring. Pencil thin slice passed pull test. But it was dry and dense.  The attached photos are from the day after the cook and the meat is cold.

Where do I go wrong?

Thanks!!

• By Daz
      I dug up my old files today and found this hitch rack I designed and built back in 2015. I couldn't find the installed pic but I was hauling my akorn around with it. 
      Never made it to production but if there is enough interests here I may make a few sets. I'll tell you there will be a lot of compliments at traffic stops haha.
      The floor jack will be replaced with a standalone hand truck that can be used as a floor stand when the grill is off the truck. 

• By ret42
      Yesterday I smoked my first brisket with the Joe. I've smoked briskets before in my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker (MES henceforth) and they were phenomenal. This one turned out with great taste, but I know I could have done a lot better in terms of texture. The bark was nice and crispy which I loved, but it came out a little tough. I've identified several differences in the process I followed on the MES, but I always want to learn from the best so I welcome all input - suggestions, constructive criticism, etc.

MES vs Joe:
      Flat and Fat Cap on MES vs just the Flat on the Joe (I don't think the briskets I smoked on the MES were full briskets - they weighed in from 7 to 10 lbs, and the one I smoked yesterday on the Joe was just over 5) Drip Pan filled with water (coffee, actually) in MES vs no added moisture on Joe Texas Crutch after 4 hours on MES vs all grill time on Joe Brushed with Mop Sauce pretty frequently on MES vs untouched on Joe Wood chips on MES vs wood chunks on Joe (doubt this contributed, but wanted to capture it) Internal Temp 195 on MES vs 200 on Joe 5-6 hours on MES vs 7-8 on Joe
      Those are the differences I can recall. The MES produced a much more tender brisket, but the bark wasn't crispy at all, and borderline soggy in some places. This makes sense given the drip pan, the aluminum foil and the basting.  My hope is that I can somehow obtain that perfect bark and a more tender bite. 

Pictures: 
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/nc2f33hb5wdw45b/Photo May 13%2C 21 34 51.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygztvqmf8fr4s4e/Photo May 15%2C 20 42 37.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/f98piayfayfiwet/Photo May 18%2C 13 28 57.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1hw9javhe95hzw/Photo May 18%2C 14 18 49.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqbr19g9eu1jtoo/Photo May 18%2C 21 31 20.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1wp3bqz77rhqcz/Photo May 18%2C 21 33 01.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/5klzyxjqpfnnipm/Photo May 18%2C 22 23 57.jpg?dl=0
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcqylt8z02fgpcb/Photo May 18%2C 22 26 31.jpg?dl=0

• By Daz
      My wifed signed me up for BBQ Ribs at my son's baseball endgame party. After working on my own controller like nuts for 3 years she now signs me up for every potluck party we go. So I was on a quest to find out how to use minimum effort to make pro-like ribs. I figured I'll make a video for it since I haven't smoked much of ribs for a while.
      Here is a process I tested today and the ribs turned out to be just as savory and tasty as, well, finely prepped ribs. It'd add a few points with some freshly cut herbs and garlic but these ribs turned out to be just amazing. Here is the process, no overnight seasoning, no wrapping and no mopping. The grill was not touched til the end. 

1. I went straight to Costco and picked up some pre-dry-rubbed St. Louis Cut Ribs. I've used them before and they are great. For only $3.49 /lb and seasoned, this is the best bang for the buck. This way I don't have to buy them ahead of time. The ribs are good to go. The rub was called "Souvloki" rub and it got a little heat in it. 
      2. I curled up the ribs into a standing tube with two skews. This way the ribs are cooked 1~2 hours faster and even on both sides. It took three hours to cook the ribs to 210 internally.
      3. Lit the starter cube, put in the heat deflector, insert the meat probes and grill probe. Put the meat in and close the lid for the first and last time.
      4. Set the temperature controller to 270. I was just experimenting with it, It worked really well. A nice bark was formed yet the inside is savory. It pulls off the bone easily. 
      5. That was it. No wrapping no mopping no nothing. Just cruise around for 3 hours and take it straight out of the grill and eat.
      So next time if you are in a hurry or just being lazy...you know what to do.

• By BBQ_Princess
      Morning Everyone. 

First, this forum has been great for getting tips and learning how to cook on my Kamado Joe. So far I’ve successfully made pizza, beef ribs, and chicken which have all
      been amazing.

I want to smoke a brisket for mother’s day and have learned the how’s and what to dos but what I don’t know is how much charcoal do I use?  I haven’t bought the brisket yet but I’m assuming this will be a 8-10 hour smoke. I just want to make sure I have enough coal to keep the fire going. 

Also, do you wrap your brisket half way through or no?  

Thanks in advance!!!