TexasBlues

KAB for XL - conidering the purchase

Mornin all!

Being TOTALLY new to ceramics i have acouple questions below... TIA for reading

i have cooked 2x on it (burgers for the christening and prime rib for Christmas, which turned out VERY nicely)

I have seen on the KAB site that there is a basket for the oval (among other cool tools)... and I read a post somewhere about someone using 2 baskets...

I am assuming that the 2 basket user was using smaller baskets instead of one oval...

the oval was a gift and i REALLY want it to last, so is the KAB worth the $$?

will it help prevent what appears to be the dreaded cracked plate/box syndrome?

i have the smobot, a meater +, and many of the Primo accessories (griddle, CI grate, divider etc)

any other cool tools yall can suggest?

thanks for the help, I am looking forward to learning much from all of you

TB

Welcome! I don't have a Primo Grill (as it appears you do), but I feel like the Kick Ash Basket will serve a similar function on either grill. I don't know anything about using two baskets, so unfortunately I'm useless there. 

As to whether the Kick Ash Basket is worth the money, that probably depends on you and your finances. I was gifted one the other day after using a Kamado Joe for about six months. The KJ (and likely the Primo) are perfectly functional without the basket, and I view it as more of a luxury than a necessity. That said, I've used the KJ with the basket three times now and the ease of use of lifting and shaking the coals vs scraping them into the ash drawer on the KJ is valuable. 

Some suggest the Kick Ash Basket allow more air flow thereby getting you up to temp quicker. I've also read where increased air flow allows greater stability of temperatures, but I'm not confident enough to say that's the case one way or another. Anecdotally, I was able to reach steak searing temperatures much quicker with the basket in, but that also might be related to the fact I cleaned out the grill of old ash, etc prior to installing.

As for other cool tools, I would say the only necessity is a good instant read thermometer. I use one religiously just to confirm what I already suspect as far as doneness. 

I also do not own a Primo, though i came very close. I decided to adopt a zero tech policy related to the grill and my cooking: no baby monitors, electric fans, etc. And, an overwhelimg large portion of my cooks were brisket cooks. Particularly in the first 18months I owned the grill. The Basket removed a lot of factors that could cause great temp fluctuations, fire dying, to much ash build up etc. Having read a post on the site, I also experimented with doing about 7 to 10 cooks without shaking out the ash- just topping off the lump when needed. That would be unthinkable sans the ash basket. 

Gave the grill to my Church along with the basket after I purchased my new grill and I can't quite say that I miss it. But, it is going to be the very first accessory I buy for it. It makes, imo, lighting the grill, getting up to hot temps quicker, cleanup, stable cooking all much easier. but, to miss-quote the great "Hitch"– do you NEED a KAB? 

Not really... you'd probably lead the life you were headed toward and my guess is... you'd do just fine

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

I have a Primo XL, have ran both the original design half basket and the newer designed full basket with the optional basket divider.  The new design with the divider is definitely the way to go in my opinion.   I feel that the convenience of the basket for cleaning and shaking out ash are just a couple of pluses that the KAB provides.  I run a SMOBOT on my XL and really like it.  Also check out the Ceramic Grill Store for their offerings for the Primo grills.

Thanks everyone for the great info... my biggest concern was the cracking of the fire-box which is why i considered a KAB in the 1st place...

that being said, i'll run w/o one for a while and see if it becomes a huge PITA to keep her clean...

i would think that for a sunday cook, if one uses a shop vac, it should be no real problem...

thanks again for the info and i WILL check out the ceramic grill store as well

have a great day and dream of smoke!

TB

Not meaning to hijack the topic but shop vacs work great until the filter clogs, which is VERY quickly when used to clen out a kamado and since they don't give away filters for mine, I use a soup ladle to clear 98% of the ashes before reaching for the vac.

6 hours ago, Chasdev said:

Not meaning to hijack the topic but shop vacs work great until the filter clogs, which is VERY quickly when used to clen out a kamado and since they don't give away filters for mine, I use a soup ladle to clear 98% of the ashes before reaching for the vac.

Agreed... the plan being to use a ladle and ash tool to remove the majority of the hooey, and follow up with the shop-vac...

thanks for the input!

TB

Since this thread has already meandered down a different trail. You guys do know they make bags for some of the popular shop vacs, don’t you? One of the best simple improvements I’ve added to my shop in years. No more cleaning the nasty filters, and  having to pour out 10 pounds of dirt, dust, ash, and various construction debris into a trash container. Just throw the bag out, and put another one in.

As far the baskets go.  I didn’t have a basket with my Pitt Boss, and felt I needed  to clean and vacuum out the grill about once a month to keep it from getting loaded up. I got the KJ basket with the Joe when I bought it, and haven’t felt the need to hit it with the vacuum to this day. No the basket is not a necessity, but it is much much easier to keep the Kamado clean with it.

To give my two cents on the subject , I now own a Primo XL and have used both the two half baskets and the full width basket on longer    cooks like pork butts, whole chickens and turkeys . I first had the two half baskets and had issues keeping both baskets lit at low temps .   I purchased a Flame Boss 100 to try to better control air flow , but still had issues no matter how I lit them . I bought the full width and         have had much better luck . Lighting the coals at the opposite end of the bottom vent instead of the center has helped greatly too .

I also like the basket for clean-up . I just shake out the ash and set to the side to clean the grill . I don't use the cast iron grate which does help on air-flow , in my opinion , and I don't have to dig-out the unburnt coals to get to the ash . I kept the half baskets for in-direct cooks ,   that is when I find time to try one . Yes it may not be a have to have item , but I feel it is a time saver in both cook prep and clean-up as my  time can be short at times .                                                                                                                                                                                              I know I'm late to the party , but I hope this helps.

On 12/31/2018 at 10:58 AM, Never L8 4 chow said:

Since this thread has already meandered down a different trail. You guys do know they make bags for some of the popular shop vacs, don’t you? One of the best simple improvements I’ve added to my shop in years. No more cleaning the nasty filters, and  having to pour out 10 pounds of dirt, dust, ash, and various construction debris into a trash container. Just throw the bag out, and put another one in.

As far the baskets go.  I didn’t have a basket with my Pitt Boss, and felt I needed  to clean and vacuum out the grill about once a month to keep it from getting loaded up. I got the KJ basket with the Joe when I bought it, and haven’t felt the need to hit it with the vacuum to this day. No the basket is not a necessity, but it is much much easier to keep the Kamado clean with it.

I have a Rigid Shop Vac and just bought a wicked expensive filter for the ash during my first cleaning of the grill. Money not very well spent, in my opinion, especially after seeing how poorly constructed it is and how quickly I assume it will get clogged. Gonna have to look for a bag next time. Thanks for the heads up. 

On 12/31/2018 at 10:58 AM, Never L8 4 chow said:

... You guys do know they make bags for some of the popular shop vacs, don’t you? One of the best simple improvements I’ve added to my shop in years. ...

21 hours ago, psych said:

I have a Rigid Shop Vac and just bought a wicked expensive filter for the ash during my first cleaning of the grill. Money not very well spent, in my opinion, especially after seeing how poorly constructed it is and how quickly I assume it will get clogged. Gonna have to look for a bag next time. Thanks for the heads up. 

No bag needed for the leaf blower. Just sayin'

Thanks everyone, for the input...

i think i will skip it for now... because it is new, (i guess) i am cleaning out the fine ash before every cook, though the other day i had a hard time getting the temp to come up to way hot for a sear on a small pork loin... i dont know if it was humidity (100%) or not, but i worked out the sear by lowering the grate closer to the flames...

finished at 144* inside, and tasted pretty dern good