Golf Griller

Christmas Prime Rib

I got a 3 pound USDA Prime boneless prime rib at Costco.

Roast.thumb.jpg.64b9b6221cbe3d55b2766d0109c392a8.jpg

I seasoned it well with McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning. I used about 1/3 of the 3 oz bottle of seasoning. I used Worcestershire sauce as a binder.

Seasoned.jpg.bada18ca9276adb4105c2bdbaea6d7d7.jpg

I set the grill up to cook at 225* until an IT of 119*. I used pecan wood for the smoke. It was taken off and allowed to rest until the IT reached 128*

Resting.thumb.jpg.e2367ac2e47ebcc872916b9629762e28.jpg

Here is the finished product after I carved of a couple of slices for the wife and myself.

Carved.jpg.51249293abf2e68fc4b6a0bae10e8f54.jpg

We're going to have some of it tonight with a salad.

Edited by Golf Griller
add what wood used for smoking.

17 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Nice job looks wonderful. I love Prime Rib, and it's traditional on Christmas in our house. Good tradition to have. 

This is the first prime rib I have cooked on Christmas since about 1999. That one was a bone in roast. A couple of days later I was slicing some for a sandwich and the knife slipped and cut a tendon in my finger. When I told my son what I was cooking Tuesday, he told me "don't cut a tendon."

Edited by Golf Griller

2 hours ago, scarfmace said:

Great looking prime rib! I'm going to make it for the first time tomorrow, how much time should I recon? Bought about 3kg bone in.

Mine took about 2 hours for a 3 pound boneless. Not sure of how long on your PR, but I was cooking to a specific temperature (120* F) rather than a set time.

The sides that we had were cooked in the microwave, so they were cooked while the PR rested.

Edited by Golf Griller